Opening Academic Year 2019-2020
Ready? Steady. Go!
Chasing deadlines and running to lectures to get there on time: studying can feel like top sports at times. And if you look at professional sports players and TU Delft students closely, you will actually find a lot more similarities. Playing sports at a high level is a challenge that requires a certain set of skills. Discipline, being well organised, having the ability to improvise when things don’t go according to plan. Now think of the skills you need to have to become a successful student, or later on to be successful in your career. Pretty much the same, right?
Even more important is to have the determination, and the ambition, the passion even, to reach your goals. With an emphasis on ‘your’, because your goal can be totally different than the goal of the student next to you, and that’s okay. As long as you know which way you are heading. Mind you, it won’t be plain sailing all the way. Just like in top sports, things can go wrong: you will encounter problems, have some bad days, or simply make mistakes that affect your performance. But that is ok too, as you will learn from those mistakes. Coming to TU Delft is the next step in your academic and personal development, and if you want, you can create some real momentum in your personal growth.
At the past Opening Academic Year we found out what we can learn from top athletes and the people around them. Couldn’t make it to the event? No worries, you can watch a registration of the ceremonies and speeches via this link.
- Opening by Rob Mudde, vice-president Education TU Delft: Talent, Training & Tactics
- Key-note by Akwasi Frimpong, Ghana’s first skeleton Olympian: The power of believing in yourself
- Studio TU Delft: with presenter Steven Dalebout, world champion cyclist and TU Delft student Rozemarijn Ammerlaan, and national Teacher of the Year Calvin Rans.
- A challenging Inspiration Award ceremony
- Followed by drinks in the foyer from 17.00
Monday 2 September
15.45 – 17.00
Auditorium, Aula Conference Centre
2628 CC Delft
Due to great interest the registration is closed.