Before the start of your studies, you need to take the steps that are mentioned below.

Steps to complete:

  1. Bring your graduation documents to TU Delft
    Not applicable for Exchange students.
  2. Register as a resident in your Dutch municipality
    Everybody who will live in the Netherlands for longer than 4 months has to register in the Personal Records Database of the municipality of residence.
  3. Open a SEPA bank account (mandatory for students without a SEPA bank account)
    Some Dutch banks provide free student bank accounts, which you can open after you have registered as a resident in your municipality.
  4. Make sure you are sufficiently insured for healthcare and liability
    International Insurances, on behalf of TU Delft, offers you the opportunity to have your insurance policies checked to ensure they are sufficient for the Netherlands. They also offer an insurance deal for international students. The university stongly recommends this insurance plan as it is affordable, meets the IND requirements (if you need a residence permit), provides sufficient medical coverage, and includes personal liability insurance among other insurances.

Bring your graduation documents to Delft

Not applicable for Exchange students.

During the first semester the admission office will be conducting a hard copy verification procedure. All students need to bring their graduation documents to Delft. Please note that only a selected number of students will receive an invitation to provide hard copy proof of having graduated. These invitations will be sent out in the first week of September. Please do not visit the admissions office unless you receive this invitation in week one of September.

Please read what documents to bring below.

* A certified copy is a copy with an official wet stamp verifying the copy to be true to the original. This official wet stamp may be from either a solicitor/notary, the educational institution from where you obtained the degree(s), an embassy or the local council/local authority/local government office. If you only have an original, bring this original and a photocopy to your registration appointment at TU Delft. We will sign and stamp the copy as a true copy for our files. You will keep the original.
** Certified translations bear the original logo and the original wet stamp of the sworn translator who made the translation.’

Register as a resident at your Dutch municipality

Since you are moving to the Netherlands, you will need to register as a resident in the Netherlands at the municipality of the city you will live in. In order to do so, you need to have an official address and a rental contract. If you do not yet have that, you cannot register as a resident and we advise you to read the information on the Housing page carefully.

After registration in the municipality of residence, you will receive a BSN (Burger Service Number (citizen service number)), which you need for various services in the Netherlands, such as opening a Dutch bank account or applying for a DigID.

How to register and what documents are needed, depends on the municipality of the city you are going to live in:

Open a SEPA bank account

If you already possess an International Bank Account Number (IBAN) from a country that belongs to the SEPA area and it is possible to keep your account, it is not necessary to apply for a Dutch bank account. Though there are some reasons why you might want to consider it after your arrival in the Netherlands:

  • Your current bank may charge you for getting cash out of ATMs or for other transactions made with your international card. Check the conditions of your current bank.
  • For some services in The Netherlands you need to have a Dutch bank account (for example a personal OV-chipkaart for use on public transportation).

You can only open a Dutch bank account when you’re in the Netherlands and in the possession of a Dutch BSN number, which you will receive after registering at your municipality.

Dutch Banks

Dutch banks offer free student bank accounts. Please visit their websites for more information:


When studying at TU Delft, you are required to have sufficient healthcare insurance and liability insurance, that needs to start before you leave your home country. It is your own responsibility to make sure you are sufficiently insured and to keep the policy current and paid. Falling behind on your payment would mean your insurance will be suspended. TU Delft is not responsible for lack of insurance. More information on insurance is available here.

Our insurance partner, International Insurances, offers in collaboration with TU Delft an insurance package which is affordable, provides sufficient coverage, and meets the requirements of IND. Furthermore, their team is available to answer your questions and give you advice about insurance for free. If you would like to have your current insurance policies checked to ensure they are sufficient for the Netherlands, you are welcome to contact them, preferably by e-mail. You can find the contact details and application procedure on their webpage with information for TU Delft students.