Dr. M.V. (Virginia) Dignum
Dr. M.V. (Virginia) Dignum
Complete list in Metis.
My research focuses on the complex interconnections and inter-dependencies between people, organizations and technology. My work ranges from the engineering of practical applications and simulations to the development of formal theories that integrate agency and organization, and includes a strong methodological design component.
Current research directions are:
- Analysis and formalization of structures and dynamics of organization.
- Design and evaluation of human-agent teamwork.
- Ethics of artificial intelligent systems.
- Value Sensitive Software Development, together with Huib Aldewereld
- Jie Jiang
- Thomas King
- Reza Hesan
- Klara Pigmans
- 2015-2019: (NWO Responsible Innovation) Values4Water - Value-Sensitive Collaborative Water Governance: http://values4water.tbm.tudelft.nl/
- 14-2016: (EU COST Action) PEERE - Frontiers of Peer Reviewing: http://www.peere.org/
- 2012-2016: (TUD DIRECT) SHINE - Sensing Heterogeneous Information Network Environment: http://shine.tudelft.nl/home/
- 2010-2015: Organizational Compliance: http://compliance.tbm.tudelft.nl/
- 2011-2013: (NGI) NeGoM
- 2013:(EU-EIT) CASA - Computers as Social Actors
- 2009-2013: (NWO - Responsible Innovation) Empowering Youth Against Cyberbullying
- 2011-2013: (SANPAD) Empowering IT teachers in economically deprived Rural Schools
- 2012: (NGI) Opendata Alliander
- 2008-2010: (FP7) ALIVE
- 2006-2010: (NWO) ABC: Agent-Based Business Coordination
- 2007-2011: GATE/FES) Adjusting the game to the user
- 2006-2009: (NWO Veni Award) Supporting Knowledge Sharing
I am an Associate Professor at the Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management, Delft University of Technology. I received a PhD in 2004 from the Utrecht University, on A Model for Organizational Interaction. Prior to my PhD, I worked for more than 12 years in consultancy and system development in the areas of expert systems and knowledge management.
My research focuses on agent based models of organizations, in particular in the dynamic aspects of organizations, and the applicability of agent organizations to support knowledge creation, sharing and representation in distributed environments, and the interaction between people and intelligent systems in particular the behaviour of hybrid teams. My work ranges from the engineering of practical applications and simulations to the development of formal theories that integrate agency and organization, and includes a strong design methodology component.
In 2006, I was awarded the prestigious Veni grant from NWO (Dutch Organization for Scientific Research) for my work on agent-based organizational frameworks, which includes the OperA framework for analysis, design and simulation of organizational systems.
I've has organized many international conferences and workshops, and was co-organizer of AAMAS 2005. I'm involved as (S)PC and reviewer in all main conferences and journals in my field of research, and am one of the leading international researchers in Agent Organizations. I participate in several national and EU projects and have more than 200 peer-reviewed publications, including 15 books, yielding a h-index of 27.
I am co-chair of the European AI conference in 2016 (ECAI2016).
I am also coordinator of the new TU Delft initiative on Design for Values
Do Habits Fade Out? Discerning Between Two Theories Using Agent-Based Simulation
Rijk Mercuur / Virginia Dignum / Catholijn M. Jonker
Integrating Comprehensive Human Oversight in Drone Deployment
A Conceptual Framework Applied to the Case of Military Surveillance Drones
E.P. Verdiesen / Andrea Aler Tubella / M.V. Dignum
A Research Agenda for Hybrid Intelligence: Augmenting Human Intellect With Collaborative, Adaptive, Responsible, and Explainable Artificial Intelligence
Zeynep Akata / Virginia Dignum / Koen Hindriks / Hayley Hung / Catholijn Jonker / Mark Neerincx / Frans Oliehoek / Birna van Riemsdijk / A.L. Robbins-van Wynsberghe / More Authors
Accountability and Control Over Autonomous Weapon Systems
A Framework for Comprehensive Human Oversight
Ilse Verdiesen / Filippo Santoni de Sio / Virginia Dignum
Give more data, awareness and control to individual citizens, and they will help COVID-19 containment
Mirco Nanni / Gennady Andrienko / Albert Làszlò Barabàsi / Chiara Boldrini / Francesco Bonchi / Ciro Cattuto / Virginia Dignum / Dirk Helbing / Jeroen Van Den Hoven
2023-01-01 - 2024-12-31