R.R. (Ranga Rao) Venkatesha Prasad
My Web Page
§ Tactile Internet
§ Internet of Things (IoT)
§ Space Internet of Things (Space IoT)
§ Cyber Physical Systems (CPS)
§ Energy Harvesting
§ 5G and 60 GHz millimeter wave networks
On IoTs, Sensors, Energy, and Personal Networks
1. iCORE (One of the founding members, EU FP7 Project, 2 PhDs, 700k€)
2. GoGreen (IoPGencom, 1 PhD, 230k€)
3. MISCEA (Member, Implementation Work, ~100k€)
4. MAGNET Beyond (with Prof. Niemegeers, 2PhDs, PostDoc, 800k€)
5. Joule Jotter (Initiated this proposal, ACM worldwide community project, US$27000)
6. SCOTT (EU H2020, 2 PhDs, 535k€)
7. WISHFUL (EU H2020, 46k€)
8. WINLAS (EU Defense Agency, 1 PhD, 230K€)
9. Research Funding by Cognizant Technology Services (Lead, 1.6M€, 2 PostDocs, 4 PhD)On 5G Networking
10. SOWICI (NWO, 1 PhD, ~230K€)
11. MEANS (NWO, 1 PhD (moved to TU/e), 230K€)
12. FHN (with Prof. Niemegeers, IOP GenCom, 2 PhDs+PostDoc, 700k€)On Coordination and Support Action
13. PEDCA -Pan-European Data Centre Academy (CSA, 130k€)
1. Invited to attend Microsoft Faculty Summit 2018.
2. Fellow of IETE, India, 2018.
3. Best paper award, ACM/IEEE Internet of Things - Design and Implementation (2018).
4. Selected by External Affairs Minister of India as one of the 10 leading Indian scientists outside India to discuss/advise on “Developing Cyber Capacity of India”.
5. Invited by the Indian Prime Minister, Mr. Narendra Modi, when he visited the Netherlands.
6. Best paper runner up award, ACM/IEEE Internet of Things - Design and Implementation (2017).
7. IEEE ComSoc Distinguished Lecturer on Internet of Things (1 out of 10 newly appointed) in 2017.
8. Impact: High school students could implement our ACM/IEEE IPSN 2015 work for saving hedgehogs (link).
9. Awarded Grassroots Prize (two times) for innovations in teaching 2015, 2016.
10. IEEE Bangalore section – Publication award 2014 & 2015.
11. Selected for IEEE Public Visibility Initiative – My interview and Article on IoT (2014).
12. Covered by IBC News under the heading, Invisible Network of the Future, 2014.
13. Recognition by IEEE for contributions to the IEEE ComSoc Standards Program Development, 2014.
14. Invited to Dagstuhl seminar on Physical Cyber Social Computing, 2013.
15. Award for IEEE P1900.5 Workgroup contributions, 2012.
16. Our article in IEEE Communication Letters, “An Analytical Energy Consumption Model for Packet Transfer over Wireless Links", was selected as the top 0.5% of papers IEEE ComSoc in Feb 2012.
17. Best paper award, IEEE PIMRC, 2009.
18. IEEE Outstanding Contributor Award for IEEE P1900.2 Workgroup contributions, 2008.
19. First place for DC Motor drive and consolation prize for AC Motor Drive in Karnataka state level, India, for ‘Do It Yourself’ competition at S.J.C.E, Mysore, India, 1993.
1. Associate Editor, Transaction on Emerging Telecommunication Technology, 2011-2017.
2. Editor IEEE Communications Magazine, 2015-2018.
3. Editor IEEE Surveys and Tutorials, 2015-.
4. Editor IEEE Systems Journal, 2018-.
5. Guest Editor Research to standards Next Generation IoT and M2M Applications Networks-and Architectures, IEEE Communications 2016.
6. Associate Editor, IEEE JSAC on SDN and Network Virtualization, 2018-
7. Editor IEEE Transaction on Green Communication Networks
8. IEEE Communication Magazine Green Track.
9. Editor Elsevier-Journal on Networking and Computer Applications, 2015-2018.
10. Editor Elsevier-Communication Networks, 2017-2018.
11. Editor for the IEEE Communications Society Communications Technology (CTN).
Dr. R Venkatesha Prasad is an Associate Professor at Embedded Networked Systems group of Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) since 2013. Between 2005 and 2012, he was a senior researcher and adjunct faculty at TU Delft. At TU Delft, he has supervised 18 PhD students (15 graduated, 3 ongoing) and 43 MSc students (36 graduated). He has (co-)authored more than 200 publications in the peer-reviewed international transactions/journals and conferences in the areas of Tactile Internet, Internet of Things (IoT), Cyber Physical Systems (CPS), Energy-harvesting, 60 GHz mmWave networks, Smart-energy systems, Personal networks, Cognitive Radios and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). He has been successful in acquiring and executing several European and Dutch national projects in the areas of IoT, Future home networks (60 GHz), Smart-energy systems, Personal networks, and Cognitive Radios.
Venkatesha Prasad received his 4TU University Teaching Qualification diploma with excellence in 2015. Recognizing his research contributions to IoT, he has been selected as an IEEE Communication Society (ComSoc) Distinguished Lecturer on Internet of Things for the period 2016-2018. He has been contributing significantly to valorise research to practice by contributing to standards on Cognitive radios and Tactile Internet. He is currently the vice-chair of IEEE Tactile Internet standardization group. He is also leading many IEEE activities through positions in standards boards (secretary in the ComSoc standards board) and technical committees (vice-chair of cognitive networking committee in 2013-16). He is on the editorial board of many international transactions and magazines and is a regular TPC member for many prestigious journals and conferences. He is a senior member of IEEE and ACM.
He was responsible for the signing of MoU between IISc - TU Delft and he is anchoring ISRO-TU Delft cooperation. He completed his PhD from IISc, Bangalore, India in 2003. During his PhD research, a scalable VoIP conferencing platform was designed. His thesis work led to a start-up venture, Esqube Communication Solutions. While at Esqube, eight patent applications and three PCT applications were filed along with his colleagues. He was instrumental in Esqube’s selection as top 100 IT innovators in India in 2006 by NASSCOM and top 100 promising companies in Asia by RedHerring in 2008.
2020-01-01 - 2022-01-01