Before you leave there are several practical things you should arrange. Here you can find some of those important things. Please mind that this is not a checklist: keep in mind other things you might need to do.

MyTUDelft, Visa & Insurances

Registration in MyTUDelft

If you are going abroad as part of your TU Delft degree programme, you are obliged to register your contact information in MyTUDelft. Click here and here for more information and to find out exactly what you need to do. After registering and filling out your contact information in MyTUDelft you fall, for the study related part of your foreign travel, under the collective travel insurance of the TU Delft. The crisis centre of the insurance and, where necessary, the Dutch Embassy (or your own) will assist you in case of emergency.

You should also register your stay at the 24/7 BZ Information service of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (BZ).

Travel Safety Training

The Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment TU Delft recommends to take a Travel Safety Training when going abroad for studies or internship. The training is mandatory to students who go to areas with safety code yellow.

You will be informed about the possible risks and what to do in case of an emergency event, specified to the country you're going to. The training is free of charge and the language of instruction is English.

Visit the following website for the dates of the next Travel Safety Training(s) and information how to register (second tab). Registration by email is mandatory. TU aims to adapt the training to the participants' destinations.


Students with an EU passport do not need a visa to study in another EU country. See the EP Nuffic website for information about studying in other countries. If you are selected to study at a partner university in a country for which a visa is required, you should apply for this yourself and in good time. You will receive a letter of invitation and any other necessary papers from the hostuniversity for your visa application, and if needed the International Office can issue a Study Abroad declaration. For detailed information about visa and procedures you should contact the embassy or consulate of the guest country, EP Nuffic, or the website of the partner university. Make sure you begin your application in plenty of time. These procedures often require a good deal of patience, as well as time (and money). Students with a non-EU-passport should contact the International Relations/Visa section via the Front Office of the Central Student Administration.


If you need vaccinations for your stay abroad, you can receive a compensation for the costs (not the total amount) if you get your vaccinations at SGZ Delft. First fill in a form from our website (Forms & Downloads) and come to our office to have it signed. Then make an appointment for vaccination at SGZ and take the form with you.

Health Insurance

Check with your health insurance whether you are covered for the actual medical costs abroad. In many countries medical care is more expensive and you should know if all costs are covered. Request an European Health Insurance Card if it is not at the back of your insurance card already. You can ask your insurance company how to request the card or go to Zorgwijzer for more information on this topic.

Travel insurance

After registering and filling out your contact information in MyTUDelft you fall, for the study related part of your foreign travel, under the collective travel insurance of the TU Delft.

Risky activities might not be covered. If you intend to go scuba diving or mountaineering or plan to participate in another risky activity, please contact Kelly Duivenvoorden to discuss if you need to take an additional insurance.

The TU Delft travel insurance only covers the necessary medical costs directly related to an accident or sickness during your stay abroad. Treatments that can be postponed until your return in The Netherlands will not be covered. 


Although you will only pay tuition fee at the TU Delft, exchange will for sure cost some money. Fortunately there are some grants and allowances which make it easier to study a semester abroad. More information about finances can be found on the general website of the TU Delft about Study Abroad.


Depending on the country you are going to, there are several grants you can apply for:

  • Erasmus - grant for inside Europe
  • Holland Scholarship - grant for outside Europe, see below
  • STIR - grant for outside Europe

After selection we will invite you for information sessions about the different grants and how to apply. Further, you could have a look on the internet for several private funds. There are lots of private funds for very specific groups of students (for example for female students with Frisian ancestors). It is impossible for us to list all the options. Please be read the requirements and conditions of the grants well and make sure the grant does not interfere with other funds you might receive.

If you've already been on exchange and you want to go again:
-STIR grant is awarded once during your studies (Bsc+Msc)
-The Erasmus+ grant can be applied for during the Bsc, and again during the Msc.

Holland Scholarship

More information on the Holland Scholarship can be found here.

The Holland Scholarship is meant for students who study, do research or internship in a country outside the EU/EEA (the EEA consists of the EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and not in your country of origin.

The Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment will award 8 scholarships to exchange students to non-EU destinations.

Amount: once € 1250,00 (amount 2020-2021)

Selection requirements

The Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment can select 8 students for this scholarship! To be eligible you should meet the general conditions ánd the following requirements:

  • Selected for an exchange semester to one of our non-EU partner universities
  • Excellence in combination with CGPA (your CGPA should be at least 7,5) 
  • Broad interests and development 
  • A connection between the envisaged programme abroad and the programme at the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment

Selection procedure // deadline 1st November 2020

Application is only accepted by email. The selection is based on your application files for the exchange semester in combination with some additional documents. The following documents must be submitted to the International Office of the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment (email:

  1. Filled Holland Scholarship application form
    Ad 7. For the application you only need to send us the motivation letter. If you are selected, we will provide you with the declaration (nr. 2) and you will need to send us the the invitation of the partner uni (nr. 3) 
  2. Up-to-date Transcript of Records, with a signature of the Service desk
  3. Motivation letter for Holland Scholarship (max 500 words, Arial, font 12)

Check the website of DUO to get information about the possibilities to continue your loan during your stay abroad.

OV-student card compensation

If you have an OV-student card financed by the government (Dutch students), you can receive a compensation for the months you are abroad. Please mind that you will only receive a compensation for complete months. The exact rules can be found on the DUO website. You can fill a form on the DUO website, print it and have it signed at the International Office of the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment (BG.Oost.240, open office hours: Monday-Thursday 12:30-13:30).