The admission requirements for doctoral candidates are recorded in Article 2 of theTU Delft Doctoral Regulations. More detailed information can be found in the back of the Regulations, in section A of the Implementation Decree.

Admission requirements

According to Dutch law and the TU Delft Doctoral Regulations a doctoral candidate should be in possession of a Dutch Master’s degree. This may be a Master of Science or a Master of Arts degree from a University or College of Higher Education.

Naturally, doctoral candidates with foreign Master degrees are also admitted to TU Delft. Some foreign degrees are evaluated by the TU Delft Admissions Office. This office determines whether the foreign degree can be considered as an equivalent of the Dutch Master degree.

Preparation and paperwork

For every would-be doctoral candidate of TU Delft, a check of their eligibility is standard procedure. This means that, besides a letter and a CV, all applications must include scans of the (highest) diploma and transcript. Furthermore, at the start of their Doctoral Programme all doctoral candidates must be registered as such at the TU Delft Graduate School. For more information about registration and the required documents see Intake Meeting.


You need to have a high level of English proficiency to study and work at the TU.  In most cases, you must submit proof of English proficiency from a standardized international test. Language proficiency certificates older than two years are not accepted.

*Nationals from the USA, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Canada who have studied there in high school or college are exempted from the English test requirement. You will need to show both a passport and your high school diploma or college degree.

TOEFL: Applicants taking the internet-based TOEFL are required to have a minimum total score of 100. TU Delft TOEFL Institution Code: 0031.
IELTS: If you take the IELTS test (academic version) your overall band score must be at least 7.0.
Cambridge: Cambridge Proficiency or Cambridge Advanced (only Grades A or B).

/* */