Prof.dr.ir. M.F.W.H.A. (Marijn) Janssen
Prof.dr.ir. Marijn Janssen is a full professor in “ICT & Governance” and head of the Engineering Systems and Services (ESS) department of the Technology, Policy and Management Faculty of Delft University of Technology. The ESS department consists of 175+ scholars who study the engineering of socio-technical systems, by combining insights from Engineering and the Social and Behavioral Sciences.
Marijn is also an honorary visiting professor at Bradford University, UK and visiting professor at KU Leuven and Universiti Teknologi Mara.
Prof.dr.ir. Marijn Janssen is full professor in ICT & Governance. His research is focussed on ICT-architecting in situations in which multiple public and private organizations need to collaborate, in which ICT plays an enabling role, there are various ways to proceed, and socio-technical solutions are constrained by organizational realities and political wishes. ICT-architecting provides principles, patterns and other instruments to guide organizations to design their infrastructure, applications, information, processes and organizations. The landscape is fundamentally changing due to current technology developments like cloud-computing, Software as a Service, blockchain, semantic services, big and open linked data (BOLD) and policy developments like open data and open government. These developments challenge the traditional relationship between governments and the public and new forms of governance are emerging.
- Business Process Management and Technology
Master Management of Technology
- I&C Architecture Design
Master Systems Engineering, Policy Analysis & Man.
- Co-editor-in-chief of Government Information Quarterly (GIQ, 2015-…), Associated Editor (GIQ, 2012-2014) (and editor from 2008-2012)
- Editorial board member of Information Systems Frontiers (ISF, 2009-...)
- Editorial board of Information Polity (IP, 2014- ..)
- Associate editor of the International Journal of E-business Research (IJEBR, 2006-…)
- Associate editor of the International Journal of E-Government Research (IJEGR, 2007-..)
- Editorial board of Transforming Government, People Processes (TGPPP, 2008,-
- Editorial board of Electronic Journal of eGovernment (EJEG, 2003-..)
- Co-editor special issue on Government Information Sharing and Integration in Information Polity (with J. Ramon Gil-Garcia , Soon Ae Chun).
- Co-editor special issue on Advances in Inter-organizational Disaster Management in Information Systems Frontier (ISF) (with JinKyu Lee, Nitesh Bharosa and Anthony Cresswell).
- Co-editor special issue on Building the Next Generation of Digital Government Infrastructures inGovernment Information Quarterly (GIQ) (withJ. Ramon Gil-Garcia and Soon Ae Chun)
- Co-editor special issue on E-government Integration and architecture of International Journal of Cases on Electronic Commerce (IJCEC) (with Vishanth Weerakkody and Kristian Hjort-Madsen)
- Co-editor special issue on e-services in International Journal of E-Business Research (IJEBR), vol. 1, no.3 (with Jaap Gordijn).
- Co-editor special issue on Developments in intelligent agent support for e-commerce negotiation applications. Electronic Commerce Research and Application (ECRA), Vol. 4, No.4 (with René W. Wagenaar).
- Proceedings of the 9th Annual International Digital Government Research Conference, ISBN 978-1-60558-099-9, Digital Government Society of North America/ ACM Digital Library, May 2008 (With Soon Ae Chun andJ. Ramon Gil-Garcia).
- Proceedings of the 8th Annual International Digital Government Research Conference (dg.o2007), Bridging Disciplines and Domains, PA, USA, 20-23 May, 2007. Published by the Association for Computing Machinery, Inc. (ACM). ISBN 1-59593-599-1 (with Alan Borning, Judy Cushing, and Theresa Pardo).
- Proceeding of the Sixth International Conference on Electronic Commerce. ICEC04 Towards a new services landscape (2004), Delft, the Netherlands, 25-27 October. Published by the Association for Computing Machinery, Inc. (ACM). ISBN 1-58113-930-6 (with R.W. Wagenaar, and H.G. Sol).
- Co-editor of the Proceedings of the First International E-Services Workshop (2003), ICEC 03, Pittsburgh, USA (with Jaap Gordijn).
- Co-editor of the Edispuut Proceedings Electronic Commerce: Crossing Boundaries (1998), ISBN: 90-804587-1-6. (with Vincent Homburg and Matthijs Wolters).
- Program Committee member of the IFIP EGOV, ECEG (European Conference on E-Government), IRMA (Information Resource Management Association), International Conference on E-commerce (ICEC), ECEG (European Conference on E-government), TED (Towards Electronic Democracy) and DG.O (Digital Government) ICEGOV, IFIP WCC BIS, EOMAS, ICEB, MeTTeG)conferences;
- Ad hoc Referee for various journals, including European Journal of Information Systems, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Information & Management, Electronic Journal for IS in Developing Countries, E-commerce Research.
- Winner best policy paper at the DGo2014 conference .Anneke Zuiderwijk & Marijn Janssen (2014). The negative effects of open government data - Investigating the dark side of open data. dg.o '14, June 18 - 21 2014, Aguascalientes, Mexico, pp. 147-152.
- Winner best Published Journal Article of IJOCI in 2010. In: S. Overbeek, Y. Gong & M. Janssen (2010). Architectures for enabling Flexible Business Processes: A Research Agenda. International Journal of Organizational and Collective Intelligence (IJOCI), vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 1-19). This paper outlines a research agenda for creating more flexibility in business processes.
- Winner Best Policy paper award at the 11th annual DG.o conference. M. Janssen & B. Klievink (2010). ICT-project failure in public administration: The need to include risk management in enterprise architectures. In: Proceedings of the 11th annual conference on Digital Government Research dg.o 2010 (published by ACM), May 17-20, Puebla, Mexico, pp. 147-152). This paper investigates the relationship between project failure and enterprise architecture as a risk mitigation instrument.
- Highly Commended Award Winner at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2009. Albert Plugge & Marijn Janssen (2009). Managing Change in IT Outsourcing Arrangements: an offshore service provider perspective on adaptability. Strategic Outsourcing. An International Journal. Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 257-274.
- Highly Commended Award Winner at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2009. Marijn Janssen and Anton Joha (2008). Emerging Shared Service Organizations and the Service-Oriented Enterprise: Critical Management Issues. Strategic Outsourcing. An International Journal, Vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 35-49. In this paper an organization based on services is analyzed and a growth path is presented. This paper adopts a theory-driven approach to develop a set of information management roles and dynamic capabilities for disaster management
- Best paper award winner 6th International ISCRAM Conference. Bharosa & Marijn Janssen (2009). Reconsidering information management roles and capabilities in disaster response decision-making units. In: J. Landgren, U. Nulden and B. Van de Walle (eds.). Proceedings of the 6th International ISCRAM Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden, May 2009.
- Highly Commended Award Winner at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2008 (http://info.emeraldinsight.com/authors/literati/index.htm).Marijn Janssen, Anton Joha & Vishanth Weerakkody (2007). Exploring relationships of shared service arrangements in local government. Transforming Government: People, Process & Policy, (ISSN 1750-6166), Vol.1, No. 3, pp. 271-284. In this paper the critical decisions and design choices regarding the design of a shared service center (SSC) and the relationship with its users are investigated.
- Winner, best poster award 9th International Digital Government Research Conference (dg.o 2008). Bram Klievink, Marijn Janssen, Willem Pieterson & Erwin Fielt (2008). Multi-channel Management Strategy and Coordination: The next hurdle in customer-orientation. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Digital Government Research Conference (dg.o 2008), “Partnerships for Public Innovation” (ISBN: 978-1-60558-099-9), Montreal, Canada, May 18-21, 2008, pp. 385-386. In this poster challenges concerning multi-channels management strategies and coordination approaches are presented with needs to be bridged to become really customer-oriented.
- Winner, best paper award International Conference on Electronic Governance (ICEGOV 2007), December 10-13, 2007, Macao. Janssen, Marijn (2007). Adaptability and Accountability of Information Architectures in Interorganizational Networks., pp. 57-64. In this paper adaptability and accountability are analyzed as complementary and conflicting variables. This paper was also presented at the meritorious paper session at HICSS41.
- Winner, best paper award AMCIS 2005 Americas Conference on Information Systems. Janssen, Marijn (2005). Modeling for Accountability: The case of the virtual business counter pp. 2021-2029. The paper concerns the modelling of cross-agency process to ensure that they are accountable.
- Winner, best paper award 15th Echallenges conference, Innovation and the Knowledge Economy: Issues, Applications, Case studies. Janssen, Marijn, Cresswell, Anthony & Luis Luna-Reyes(2005). Modelling Methods for Information Integration: Comparative Cases in e-Government. pp. 614-622. In this paper flow-oriented and system-dynamic modeling methods are compared and their synergy is explored.
- Winner, ICT-Trofee in December 2002 for efforts concerning projects and education for the ICT-section of Delft University of Technology.
- +31 15 27 81140
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Engineering Systems and Services
Information and Communication Technology
ICT & Governance
Prof.dr.ir. M.F.W.H.A. (Marijn) Janssen
2020-01-01 - 2025-01-01
Informatie en communicatie
2022-04-01 - 2024-04-01
2022-09-01 - 2024-09-01
2022-01-01 - 2024-01-01
Openbaar bestuur, overheid, sociale verzekering
2022-09-01 - 2024-09-01
2022-08-01 - 2024-08-01
2017-09-01 - 2023-09-01
Informatie en communicatie