Dr. S. (Steven) Umbrello
Steven Umbrello studied philosophy of science and technology at the University of Toronto (H.B.A), epistemology, ethics, and mind at the University of Edinburgh (MSc), science and technology studies at York University (MA), and the ethics and design of AI at the University of Turin, Italy (PhD). He is currently a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Delft University of Technology.
Steven is currently working on creating stakeholder meetings and engagement for transformative technologies. His research focuses more broadly on value sensitive design, its philosophical foundations as well as its application to novel technologies like AI, nanotech, and Industry 4.0.
- Umbrello, Steven; Capasso, Marianna; Balistreri, Maurizio; Pirni, Alberto; Merenda, Federica, 2021. “Value Sensitive Design to Achieve the UN SDGs with AI: A Case of Elderly Care Robots,” Minds and Machines, Special Issue: “Social Robots - Ethical and Anthropological Issues,”. DOI: 10.1007/s11023-021-09561-y
- Umbrello, Steven; Yampolskiy, Roman V., 2021. “Designing AI for Explainability and Verifiability: A Value Sensitive Design Approach to Avoid Artificial Stupidity in Autonomous Vehicles,” International Journal of Social Robotics. DOI: 10.1007/s12369-021-00790-w
- Umbrello, Steven, 2021. “Coupling Levels of Abstraction in Understanding Meaningful Human Control of Autonomous Weapons: A Two-Tiered Approach,” Ethics and Information Technology. DOI: 10.1007/s10676-021-09588-w
- Umbrello, Steven; van de Poel, Ibo, 2021. “Mapping Value Sensitive Design onto AI for Social Good Principles,” AI and Ethics. DOI: 10.1007/s43681-021-00038-3
- Umbrello, Steven, 2020. “Meaningful Human Control over Smart Home Systems: A Value Sensitive Design Approach,” HUMANA. MENTE Journal of Philosophical Studies, Special Issue: "Living with Artificial Intelligence. An Analysis of Moral and Philosophical Implications in our Everyday Life," Vol. 13, No. 37, 40–65.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- +39 351 823 8010
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Values, Technology and Innovation
Ethics/Philosophy of Technology
Design for values
Management of responsible innovation