My LIST OF MY PUBLICATIONS (version September 7 2017) contains detailed information about all my publications.
(most of it resulted from work in close cooperation with other researchers including BSc, MSc and PhD students;their respective theses can be found at BSc theses, MSc theses, PhD theses.)
The following overview provides a generic description, grouped in 4 clusters:
I. Development of Intelligent Data Analysis (IDA) methods for Improved Decision Making
- Theories on the combination of Probability Theory and Statistics on Fuzzy Sets like probabilistic fuzzy entropy, statistical fuzzy histograms, statistical fuzzy decision trees, statistical fuzzy information sources and, more in general, probabilistic fuzzy systems; see also my initial web site on these topics, the MSc thesis by Ludo Waltman, and our 2012 IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems publication.
- Visualizations of Concept Relations: attempts to construct aggregated knowledge structures (like Associative Concept Maps) representing the essential knowledge as induced from a large corpus of (un)structured information sources. For details, see the work done by Nees Jan van Eck and Ludo Waltman at www.vosviewer.com
- Simulated Big Bounce (for a nice simulation example see here!!): is a new metaheuristic proposed by PhD student Mohsen Davarynejad for finding the gobal optimum of complex (high-dimensional) continuous functions by adequately balancing exploration and exploitation during a dedicated population-based search.
- Uninformed Workflow Mining with Anomaly Detection: development of a set of specific IDA tools in the field of forensics.
II. Theory and Applications of Complex Systems (with emergent properties based on self-organisation at the edge of order & chaos)
- Concerns the theory especially pioneered at the famous Sante Fe Institute concerning the paradigm of looking bottom-up instead of top down: systems consisting of many interacting components (from atoms till human beings) may show complex emergent phenomena (from temperature and pressure in gases till dynamic markets and exciting paradigm shifting research outcomes in well-performaing research communities): see e.g. my publication "Inverse Infrastructures at the Edge of Order and Chaos, an Analytic Framework", chapter 2 of Tineke Egyedi and Donna Mahos (eds.) Inverse Infrastructures: Disrupting Networks from Below, Edward Elgar, 2010.
- When I started in this field, I looked at generalized (recurrent) neural networks from a mathematical-physical perspective: it resulted into my PhD work on Neural Relaxation Dynamics (a topic somewhat related to 'Simulated Annealing') which focused on two types of neural networks:
- Recurrent Artificial Neural Networks, especially, generalizations of Hopfield and Hopfield-Lagrange models showing emerging collective computational abilities; a JAVA applet for the famous Travelling Salesman Problem (TSP) is available here;
- Modifications of Elastic Nets: a nice JAVA applet is available of the original elastic net for solving the TSP.
- Later on, this scope broadened towards applications with other techniques in the field of Computational Intelligence like
- Ants Algorithms and Probabilistic Fuzzy Systems for Bankruptcy Prediction and Bond Rating;
- Particle Swarm Algorithms for Portfolio Optimization;
- Genetic Algorithms for Index Tracking;
III. (Information Systems) Safety, Security, Risk and Related Topics
- (Quantitative) Modeling of all kinds of Risk;
- Information and Cyber Security solutions for IT-infrastructures used in socio-technical systems, in domains like government, transport & logistics, finance, healthcare, energy supply;
- Trust enhancing algorithms in moble and P2P networks;
- Resilience enhancement of Cyber Warfare Infrastructures.
IV. (Other) Applications in Finance, Sustainable Development, Philosophy, Healthcare (in many cases by using IDA tools):
News Driven Financial Time Series Analysis; Scaling Laws for Operational Risk Analysis; Visual Explorations in Finance with Self Organizing Maps, Google Maps, ...; Modeling Sustainable Development and Decision Making using Fuzzy Systems; Providing Intelligent Agents with Moral Reasoning Capabilities; Privacy Enhancing Technologies for Dynamic Informed Consent Decision Making; ICT Tools for supporting Independent Living; Workflow Management and the Electronic Patient Record for realizing Client-Centered Healthcare; Improving Business Performance by KPI-based analysis of business processes performance; Data mining for Forensics and Intrusion Detection; Towards a production environment for (mobile) Apps in the Port of Rotterdam.