Dr. P.H.G. (Pieter) van Langen
Pieter van Langen is a senior researcher at the Delft University of Technology. Since the nineties, his main research interests concern the foundations of design. Using techniques from Artificial Intelligence, he investigates process components, knowledge components, and their information and control interactions, which together constitute a specific design process. In the field of systems engineering, he applies his research to develop principles for participatory systems design.
From 1989 to 1995, after completing his Computer Science study, Pieter worked as a contract researcher of Artificial Intelligence in both European and Dutch R&D projects, first at the University of Amsterdam and later at the VU University Amsterdam. Since 1996, he is employed full-time by a Dutch financial, the Rabobank, working in various positions. However, his strong interest in design, starting 1992, kept him conducting AI in Design research. In 2002, he successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis “The Anatomy of Design”. From 2004 to 2009, Pieter worked part-time as a senior researcher at the VU University Amsterdam. Since 2010, he is employed part-time by the Delft University of Technology.
His articles appeared in various workshop notes, including IJCAI (International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence), conference proceedings, including AID (Artificial Intelligence in Design), and journals, including AIEDAM (Artificial Intelligence for Engineering, Design, Analysis and Manufacturing) and KBS (Knowledge-Based Systems).
- F.M.T. Brazier, P.H.G. van Langen, Zs. Ruttkay, and J. Treur (1994). On formal specification of design tasks. In: Proc. Artificial Intelligence In Design ’94, pp. 535-552.
- F.M.T. Brazier, P.H.G. van Langen, and J. Treur (1996). A logical theory of design. Advances in Formal Design Methods for CAD, pp. 243-266.
- F.M.T. Brazier, P.H.G. van Langen, and J. Treur (1998). Strategic knowledge in design: a compositional approach. Knowledge-Based Systems, 11(7), pp. 405-416.
- P.H.G. van Langen (2002). The Anatomy of Design: Theories, Models, and Applications (Ph.D. Thesis), VU University Amsterdam.
- P.H.G. van Langen, N.J.E. Wijngaards, and F.M.T. Brazier (2004). Designing creative artificial systems. AIEDAM, 18(3), 217-225.
- P.H.G. van Langen and F.M.T. Brazier (2006). Design space exploration revisited. AIEDAM, 20(2), 113-119.