Dr. M. (Ming) Yang
I joined the Safety and Security Sceince Section at the TU Delft as an Assistant Professor on June 1st, 2020. From 2012, I started my academic career at the Centre for Risk, Integrity, and Safety Engineering, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada. In 2017, I moved to Kazakhstan and joined Nazarbayev University as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering. I hold a B.Eng in Chemical and Material Engineering, a MSc. in Environmental System Engineering, and a PhD in Oil and Gas Engineering.
I do research and teaching in safety, risk, and environmental engineering. My research develops qualitative and quantitative approaches for safety and environmental engineering and management problems in the process and marine industries. The topics of my courses cover a wide range from safety and reliability engineering to pollution prevention and control.
I have authored and co-authored more than 60 international peer-reviewed journal and conference papers in the field of safety, risk, and environmental engineering. I have supervised and co-supervised 8 MSc. and 8 PhD students.
My research aims to create knowledge in two main areas: a) fundamental and conceptual knowledge of risk, risk assessment and management, b) knowledge with respect to the application of safety and risk in various areas such as oil and gas, marine transportation, construction, public security, etc. My current research topics include: a) resilience assessment of engineered systems, b) dynamic risk management for process systems, c) condition monitoring-based asset integrity management, d) risk-based approaches for engineering design and operation, e) implications of information theory in process safety management.
Topics of teaching assignment:
- Chemical process safety
- Risk assessment and risk management
- Reliability engineering
- Pollution prevention
- Occupational and environmental health and safety
- Process dynamics and control
- Yang, M., Khan, F., Amyotte, P. (2015). Operational risk assessment: a case of the Bhopal disaster. Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 97, 70-79.
- Yang, M., Khan, F., Lye, L., Sulistiyono, H., Dolny, J., Oldford, D. (2013). Risk-based winterization for vessels operations in Arctic environments, Journal of Ship Production and Design, 29(4), 199-210.
- Yang, M., Khan, F., Sadiq, R. (2011). Prioritization of environmental issues in offshore oil and gas operations: A hybrid approach using fuzzy inference system and fuzzy analytic hierarchy process. Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 89 (1), 22-34.
- Yang, M., Khan, F., Sadiq, R., Amyotte, P. (2011). A rough set-based quality function deployment (QFD) approach for environmental performance evaluation: a case of offshore oil and gas operations. Journal of Cleaner Production, 19 (13), 1513-1526.
- Yang, M. (2018). Major process accidents: their characteristics, assessment and management of the associated risks. Process Safety Progress, 37(2), 268-275.
- Khan, F., Wang, HZ., Yang, M. (2016). Application of loss functions in process economic risk assessment. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 111, 371-386.
- Khan, B., Khan, F., Veitch, B., Yang, M. (2018). An Operational Risk Analysis Tool to Analyze Marine Transportation in Arctic Waters. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 129, 485-502.
- Kujala, P., Goerlandt, F., Way, B., Smith, D., Yang, M., Khan, F., Veitch, B. (2019). Risk-based design of ice-class ships. Marine Structures, 63, 181-195.
- Afenyo, M. K., Khan, F., Veitch, B. Yang, M. (2016). Modeling oil weathering and transport in sea ice. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 107(1), 206-215.
- Yang, R.C., Khan, F., Yang, M., Kong, D.P., Xu, C.H. (2018). A numerical fire simulation approach for effectiveness analysis of fire safety measures in floating liquefied natural gas facilities, Ocean Engineering, 157,219-233.
- Tong, Q., Yang, M., Zinetullina, A. (2020). A dynamic Bayesian network-based approach to resilience assessment of engineered systems. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 65, 104152.
- Dynamic resilience assessment of process systems operating in harsh environments - NUFDP (2019-2021)
- Condition monitoring-based asset integrity management for process facilities in harsh environments – MoSE (2020-2022)
- Risk-based inspection and maintenance for process facilities - NUSPG (2017-2018)
- Testing and validating for assets operating in harsh environments - ABS (2012-2013)
- Risk-based winterization - ABS (2013-2014)
- Scenario-based risk management of Arctic shipping - LRF (2015-2019)
- Dynamic risk assessment of process operations - Vale (2010-2015)
- Safe and sustainable operation of offshore oil and gas operations – NSERC STG (2008-2011)
- Development of dynamic operational risk management tool for processing system – NSERC CRD (2013-2015)
- Associate editor: American Chemical Society (ACS) Chemical Health and Safety
- Section editor: Journal of Safety in Extreme Environments
- Editorial board member: Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries (JLPPI)
- 2020 SI of JLPPI on “Risk-based approaches to engineering design and operations”
- 2020 SI of JLPPI on “Process safety in times of a pandemic”
- 2020 SI of Sustainability on “Safe and Sustainable Process Design and Operation
- 2019 SI of JSEE on “EHS management during natural resources development in extreme environments”