Dr. O. (Olya) Kudina
I am an Assistant Professor in Ethics/Philosophy of Technology with a particular interest in the AI Ethics. I explore the dynamic moral world and the role technologies play in it through the prism of moral hermeneutics, pragmatism and empirical philosophy. Additionally, I help to integrate ethical reflection and cultural sensitivity as integral counterparts in the design process. I hold a PhD degree in Philosophy of Technology from the University of Twente (2019). My previous work outside academia adds diplomacy, (inter)governmental work, data protection and privacy to my skill-set.
In the context of TU Delft AI-Labs’ programme, I explore the ethical implications of AI, specifically related to value change and the sociotechnical systems perspective. I explore technologically induced value change bottom-up, starting from human practices and guided by empirical philosophy. This allows me to explore what I call “moral hermeneutics”, i.e. how the value meaning-making evolves in the process of technological use in the productive cultural settings. Currently, I analyse how AI-enabled voice assistants co-shape the values of communication, courtesy, respect, privacy and others through their presence at one’s home. My research interests span across the intersection of design and ethics of technology, bioethics, AI ethics, media studies and empirically-oriented philosophy.
- Ethics of healthcare technologies (tutor)
- Ethics for aerospace engineering WM0324LR (tutor and supervisor)
- Kudina, O. & de Boer, B. (2021). Co-designing diagnosis: towards a responsible integration of Machine Learning decision-support systems in medical diagnostics. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice.
- Boenink, M. and Kudina, O. (2020). Values in Responsible Research and Innovation: from entities to practices. Journal of responsible innovation, 7(3), pp. 450-470.
- Kudina, O. (2019). The technological mediation of morality: value dynamism, and the complex interaction between ethics and technology [PhD thesis]. Enschede: University of Twente.
- Kudina, O., & Verbeek, P. P. (2019). Ethics from within: Google Glass, the Collingridge dilemma, and the mediated value of privacy. Science, Technology, & Human Values, 44(2), pp. 291-314.
- Kudina, O. (2019). Accounting for the Moral Significance of Technology: Revisiting the Case of Non-Medical Sex Selection. Journal of bioethical inquiry, 16(1), pp. 75-85.
- Kudina, O. (2019). Alexa does not care. Should you? Media literacy in the age of Digital Voice Assistants. Glimpse, Vol. 19, pp. 106-114.
- Kudina, O., & Bas, M. (2018). “The end of privacy as we know it”: Reconsidering public space in the age of Google Glass. In Surveillance, Privacy and Public Space (pp. 131-152). Routledge.
- de Boer, B., Hoek, J., & Kudina, O. (2018). Can the technological mediation approach improve technology assessment? A critical view from ‘within’. Journal of responsible innovation, 5(3), pp. 299-315.
As an Assistant Professor, I will be active in the TU Delft AI-Labs’ programme, exploring the ethical implications of AI, particularly in the (mental) healthcare and adopting the value change and the sociotechnical systems perspectives.
Additionally, I am an Associate Research Fellow on the Gravitation project “The Ethics of Socially Disruptive Technologies,” where I continue to explore the technologically-induced value change and the role of culture in it within a context of AI-based technologies.
I also continue to be a part of the Design for Changing Values project, which is Prof. Ibo van de Poel’s ERC project on the technologically induced value change and the sociotechnical systems design.
- Hey Siri, why are my kids screaming at you? | Universiteit van Nederland | Feb 1, 2021
- CoronaEthics Podcast interview | 4TU.Ethics & Delft Design for Values | Nov 30, 2020
- Technological Mediation of Morality | TEDxBucharest | Nov 17, 2019
- Alexa doesn’t care. Should you? | Codemotion Madrid 2019 | Sep 25, 2019
- Olya Kudina on Philosophy and Ethics of Technology | Yale University Center for Bioethics | Jul 2, 2019
- Is using AI ethical? - interview with Olya Kudina | Ai Lab Insights | Aug 7, 2018
- + 31 15 27 83956
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Room number: B4.040
Monday till Thursday