Dr. G. (Geerten) van de Kaa
Geerten van de Kaa is Associate Professor of Standardization and Business Strategy at Delft University of Technology. He holds a PhD from Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University. His research focuses on a better understanding of the standardization process in order to enable complex innovations and solve societal and business challenges. He has published in high ranking international journals including Organization Studies, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Technovation, and Technological Forecasting and Social Change. He teaches courses in ‘strategic management’, ‘technology and strategy’, and ‘standards battles’. He is visiting scholar at Technische Universität Berlin.
- TBM004A: Strategic Management (Business Game)
- MOT1435: Technology, Strategy and Entrepreneurship
- MOT9591: Standards Battles
- MOT1004: MOT integration moment
- MOT2910: MOT M.Sc. Thesis supervision
- Strategic Leadership for Responsible Innovation
- Emerging Technology-based Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- De Wildt T. A,, Chappin, E., Van de Kaa, G,, Herder, P.M., Van de Poel, I. 2019. Comprehensive Review of Conflicting Values in Smart Energy Systems. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews
- Van Velzen A., Annema, J.A., van de Kaa, G.. Van Wee, B. 2019. Proposing a more comprehensive future Total Cost of Ownership estimation framework for electric vehicles. Energy Policy
- Van de Kaa, G., Papachristos, G., De Bruijn, J.A., 2019. The governance of platform development processes: a metaphor and a simulation model. Technological Forecasting & Social, Change, 138, 190-203
- Van de Kaa, G., Rezaei, J., Taebi, B., Van de Poel, I., Kizhakenath, A., 2019. How to weigh values in Values Sensitive Design: A best worst method approach for the case of smart metering, Science and Engineering Ethics.
- Van de Kaa, G., Fens, T., Rezaei, J., Kaynak, D., Hatun, Z., Tsilimeni-Archangelidi, A. 2019. Realizing smart meter connectivity: analyzing the standards battle between Power line communication, Mobile telephony, and Radio frequency using the Best Worst Method. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews
- Van de Kaa, G., Janssen, M.F.W.H.A., Rezaei, J., 2018. Standards Battles for Business-to-Government Data Exchange: Identifying Success Factors for Standard Dominance Using the Best Worst Method. Technological Forecasting & Social Change. 137, 182-189
- Milchram, C., Hillerbrand, R., Van de Kaa, G., Doorn, N., Kunneke, R., 2018. Energy justice and smart grid systems: Values in the public debates in the UK and the Netherlands Applied Energy 229, 1244-1259
- De Wildt, T. Chappin, E. Van de Kaa, G., Herder P.M., 2018. A comprehensive approach for reviewing literature on moral values: The case of justice in energy systems, Applied Energy. 228, 2111-2128
- Van de Kaa, G., 2018. Who's pulling the strings? The influence of network structure on standard dominance. R&D Management, 48, 4, 438-446.
- Van de Kaa, G. & Greeven, M., 2017. LED standardization in China and South East Asia: stakeholders, infrastructure and institutional regimes. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 72, 863-870.
- Van de Kaa, G., Kamp, L.M., Rezaei, J., 2017. Selection of biomass thermochemical conversion technology in the Netherlands: A best worst method approach. Journal of Cleaner Production, 166, 32-39.
- Den Hartigh, E., Ortt, R.J., Van de Kaa, G., Stolwijk, C.C.M., 2016. Platform control during battles for market dominance: The case of Apple versus IBM in the early personal computer industry. Technovation, 48-49, 4-12.
- Van de Kaa, G. & De Vries, H.J., 2015. Factors for winning format battles: A comparative case study. Technological Forecasting & Social Change. 91, 2, 222–235.
- Van de Kaa, G., Van Heck, H.W.G.M., De Vries, H.J., Van den Ende, J.C.M., Rezaei, J., 2014. Supporting Decision-Making in Technology Standards Battles Based on a Fuzzy Analytic Hierarchy Process. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. 61, 2, 336-348.
- Van de Kaa, G., Rezaei, J., Kamp, L., De Winter, A., 2014. Photovoltaic Technology Selection: A Fuzzy MCDM Approach. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 32, 662–670.
- Van den Ende, J.C.M., Van de Kaa, G., Den Uyl, S., & De Vries, H.J. 2012. The paradox of Standard Flexibility: The Effects of Co-evolution between Standard and Interorganizational Network. Organization Studies 33, 5,6, 705-736.
- Van de Kaa, G., Van den Ende, J.C.M., De Vries, H.J. & Van Heck, H.W.G.M. 2011. Factors for Winning Interface Format Battles: A Review and Synthesis of the Literature. Technological Forecasting & Social Change, 78, 8, 1397-1411.
- 2020-2024: European Union - Horizon2020 “Co-Create Change in Research Funding and Performing (Co-Change)”
- 2019-2021: European Union – Grow: Functions and Effects of European Standards and Standardisation in the EU and EFTA Member States
- 2018-2021: European Union - Horizon2020 “webs of Innovation and value chains of Additive Manufacturing under consideration of Responsible Research and Innovation (I AM RRI)
- 2015-2019: NWO: Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research “Capturing the societal value of smart energy systems”
Geerten van de Kaa
- +31 15 27 83678
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Room number: C3.050
Values, Technology and Innovation
Economics of Technology and Innovation
Design for values
Management of responsible innovation
Responsible risk management
Sustainable energy systems
Dr. G. van de Kaa
2019-07-01 - 2021-07-01