Graduation in 'Technology in Sustainable Development' (TiSD)
The graduation annotation 'Technology in Sustainable Development' was launched in September 2000.
The annotation is open to all* TU Delft master students that intend to integrate sustainable development into their graduation project and courses.
The graduation annotation covers both broader and deeper knowledge regarding Sustainable Development (SD) and technology. Sufficient depth is achieved by the demand that SD has to be a core issue in the graduation project. Within each department, a so-called ‘SD referent’ with specific expertise will assess the graduation project regarding the way SD has been tackled in the problem definition, the actual work and in the conclusions of the project. see list of TiSD referents.
The broadening of knowledge is guaranteed through a number of elective courses in the field of SD and the Course ‘Engineering for Sustainable Development’ (WM0939TU). Another goal of the latter obligatory course is to teach the students to apply a long term vision in determining their engineering priorities.
* For IE and SET students it is not possible to receive the annotation, since their Master track fully focusses on Sustainable Development. They can join the ‘Engineering for Sustainable Development’ (WM0939TU) course only in case of availability of places.
- contact your local TiSD referent in an early stage
- send in the registration form to request the annotation
- TiSD annotation information for Master Architecture, Urbanism and Building Sciences
- Graduation: Project focussed at a sustainable development (related) problem. Students in the master Architecture Urbanism and Building Sciences are further referred to: Procedure TiSD
- WM0939TU ‘Engineering for Sustainable Development’ (former boat week)
- Electives: a total of 10 ECTS or more SD courses and at least 3 ECTS from cluster A and at least 3 ECTS from cluster B, see list elective courses.
In an early stage students should contact their local faculty TiSD referent and agree upon their elective courses and Graduation project and discuss any other issues. (See list of TiSD referents)
Course ‘Engineering for sustainable development’ (WM0939TU)
Sustainable Development (SD) is a growing concern for political and organisational decision-making. Technology and engineers are important in addressing the challenge of SD. The course is open to all TU Delft Msc students. However, it is a compulsory course for students wishing to pursue the annotation in ‘Technology in Sustainable Development’. Participants work in interdisciplinary groups on sustainability issues and approaches.
It is organised once a year for maximum of 40 students. If the course is overbooked, students that are able to proof that they have made definite arrangements to the graduation annotation 'Technology in Sustainable Development' will have priority. If for good reasons beyond your control, you cannot participate in the course you should contact the study advisor to confirm this and the module manager of WM0939TU (presently Bertien Broekhans at TPM B.Broekhans@tudelft.nl) to agree upon an alternative course content, for example a summerschool on sustainability + additional assignments.
Students are asked to choose a balanced package of at least 10 ECTS of SD related courses. These SD courses are divided into two clusters (3 ECTS from each):
A. Design, analysis and tools (‘technical’)
B. Organisation, policy and society (‘non-technical’)
The list of elective courses can be found at: elective courses
Courses on the list will be approved automatically. Elective courses that are not on the lists can be proposed by students in advance to their TiSD referent.
The coordinator of the graduation annotation 'Technology in Sustainable Development' is Dr. Kas Hemmes.