Professor of Excellence Award | Leermeesterprijs
Every year, the ‘Professor of Excellence Award | Leermeesterprijs’ is awarded to a Professor at TU Delft who excels in both research and education, and who knows how to inspire and motivate the next generation of Delft engineers. Recipients of the award are reckoned among the top of TU Delft. You can only become Professor of Excellence | Leermeester' per the recommendation of one’s colleagues, students, and PhD-students, who consider you to be their ‘Leermeester’ and source of inspiration.
In addition to the recognition and appreciation, the award consists of a prize of €15.000 (to spend on a sabbatical), the silver ‘Leermeester’-medal and a Delft University of Technology certificate.
The prestigious ‘Professor of Excellence Award | Leermeesterprijs’ was introduced in 1994 by the Delft University Fund who since then successfully awarded 29 ‘Leermeesters’. From 2023 onwards, the organisation of the award is entrusted to the TU Delft Teaching Academy.
Every year the Deans and study associations of the faculties are asked to nominate their candidates by the Dean sending in two motivation letters (one from the Dean and one from the study association of the faculty) for the Pre-selection round.
Based on these proposals, the selection committee selects the top three candidates. Then the faculties from the top three candidates will be asked to compile a complete (confidential) nomination file from which the Professor of Excellence will be selected.
- 17 March 2023: Deadline for pre-selection round. For each candidate the Deans of the faculties send in 2 motivation letters: one from the Dean and one from the study association of the faculty.
- 24-31 March 2023: The selection committee selects the top three.
- Beginning of April: Informing Deans. The Deans of the top three candidates are asked to hand in the complete nomination files by 26 May at the latest.
- 26 May 2023: Deadline for the complete (confidential) nomination files of the top three candidates, sent in by the Dean.
- 2-9 June 2023: The selection committee selects the winner.
- 4 September 2023: The official award ceremony will take place. The ceremony precedes the Opening of the Academic Year 23/24.
The nominated candidates must meet a number of conditions:
- They excel in the quality of their research and education;
- This quality has an exceptional impact on students and PhD candidates;
- The candidate has an extraordinary research reputation and a broad international reach.
- A 'Professor of Excellence | Leermeester' is someone who has built a teaching & coaching legacy and who has the ability to become an even greater inspiration for students, PhD students and colleagues in the working years to come.
Pre-selection round (for all nominations)
- For the pre-selection round 2 motivation letters (a letter of motivation from the Dean and a letter of motivation from the study association of the faculty where the candidate does most of his/her teaching) should be submitted by the Dean via Teachingacademy@tudelft.nl by 17 March at the latest.
- one candidate per faculty can be nominated.
The Extensive proposal (for top three candidates)
The Deans of the top three candidates should submit an extensive nomination package. This package should contain the following documents:
- An extensive nomination by the Dean. This extended nomination should include concrete examples of the remarkable accomplishments of the candidate, and expected future impact (max 5 pages);
- A recent CV of the candidate including relevant information on the education, reseach, valorisation and organisation (activities and impact) and other remarkable achievements;
- Five letters of recommendation from alumni (PhD/MSc/EngD; max 2 pages per letter).
- A motivation letter from the board of the study association(s) where the candidate does most of his/her teaching - this letter was already included in the 'pre-selection round' and does not need to be extended.
Nominations can be submitted by the Dean of the faculty concerned, via email@example.com by 26 May at the latest.
The whole process is kept confidential up until the surprise visit to the newly elected 'Professor of Excellence | Leermeester'.
The selection committee consists of 4 full professors who have themselves previously been named ‘Professor of Excellence | Leermeester’, the Academic Director of the Teaching Academy, and a member from outside TU Delft.
The current composition of the jury is:
- Prof.dr. Jack Pronk (Chair)
- Prof.dr. Jenny Dankelman
- Prof.dr.ir. Nick van de Giessen
- Prof.dr. Bert van Wee
- Prof.dr. Annoesjka Cabo (Academic Director Teaching Academy)
- Ir. Karin Sluis (Witteveen & Bos, external member)
2023 - Prof.dr.ir. J.L. Herder (3mE)
2022 - Prof.dr. K. Vuik (EEMCS/EWI)
2021 - Prof.dr.ir. M. Mulder (AE/LR)
2020 - Prof.dr. B. van Wee (TPM/TBM)
2019 - Prof.dr. J. Dankelman (3mE)
2018 - Prof.dr. C. Dekker (AS/TNW)
2017 - Prof.dr.ir. P.M. Herder (TPM/TBM)
2016 - Prof.dr.ir. A. van Keulen (3mE)
2015 - Prof.dr. J.T. Pronk (AS/TNW)
2014 - Prof.dr.ir. N.C. van de Giesen (CEG/CiTG)
2013 - Prof.dr.ir. P. Kruit (AS/TNW)
2012 - Prof.dr. F.C.T. van der Helm (3mE)
2011 - Prof.dr.ir. H.E.A.van den Akker (AS/TNW)
2010 - Prof.dr.ir. H.H.G. Savenije (CEG/CiTG)
2009 - Prof.ir. A. Beukers (AE/LR)
2008 - Prof.dr.ir. L.P. Kouwenhoven (AS/TNW)
2007 - Prof.dr.ir. J.A. Buijs (IDE/IO) (†1 december 2015)
2006 - Prof.mr.dr. E.F. ten Heuvelhof (TPM/TBM)
2005 - Prof.ir. H. de Jonge (A+BE/BK)
2004 - Prof.dr.ir. J.C. Walraven (CEG/CiTG-ct)
2003 - Prof.dr.ir. J.J. Heijnen (AS/TNW-bt)
2002 - Prof.dr.ir. F.T.M. Nieuwstadt (OCP-wb) (†18 mei 2005)
2001 - Prof.dr.ir. J.T. Fokkema (CEG/CiTG-ta)
2000 - Prof.ir. M. Risselada (A+BE/BK)
1999 - Prof.dr. I.T. Young (AS/TNW-tn)
1998 - Prof.dr.ir. J.A. Battjes (CEG/CiTG-ct)
1997 - Prof.ir. O.H. Bosgra (OCP-wbmt) (†21 februari 2013)
1996 - Prof.dr.ir. H. van Bekkum (AS/TNW-stm)
1995 - Prof.dr.ir. C.J. van Duijn (ITS)
1994 - Prof.dr.ir. A. Verruijt (CEG/CiTG-ct)