S. (Saba) Chockalingam
Saba Chockalingam is a PhD candidate at the Faculty of Technology, Policy, and Management in the Safety and Security Science section. He works on the project entitled “Secure Our Safety: Building Cyber Security for Flood Management (SOS4Flood)”.
Saba received his Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Computer Science and Engineering from SRM University (India) in 2012, and his Master of Science (MSc) in Cyber Security and Management from the University of Warwick (England) in 2014. During his MSc, he worked on the thesis entitled “Enriching Social Media Sites (SMS) Data with Geographic Intelligence”.
Today's society depends on the seamless operation of Critical Infrastructures (CIs) in different sectors such as energy, transportation, and water management, which is essential to the success of modern economies. Over the years, CIs have heavily relied on Industrial Control Systems (ICS) to ensure efficient operations, which are responsible for monitoring and steering industrial processes as, among others, water treatment and distribution, and flood control.
Because of modern societies' dependence on ICS, adequate response to system failures is essential. In order to take appropriate measures, it is crucial for operators to be able to distinguish between intentional attacks and accidental technical failures. However, adequate decision support for this matter is lacking. My research aims to fill this gap by utilizing Bayesian Networks (BNs) which has been widely employed in real-world applications especially in medical diagnosis and fault diagnosis. Although the scope of my study is focused on water management systems operated by ICS, the developed integrated BN model may be applied to the other CIs operated by ICS.
- Teaching Assistance – Security and Organization (WM0822TU) 2018/2019
- Teaching Assistance – Security and Organization (WM0822TU) 2017/2018
- Teaching Assistance – Security and Organization (WM0822TU) 2016/2017
- Tutor - IT and Values (WM0328TI) 2015/2016
- Chockalingam, S., Pieters, W., Teixeira, A., Khakzad, N., van Gelder, P.: Combining Bayesian Networks and Fishbone Diagrams to Distinguish between Intentional Attacks and Accidental Technical Failures. In: Cybenko, G., Pym, D., Fila, B. (eds) Graphical Models for Security (GraMSec 2018), Vol. 11086, pp. 31 – 50. Springer (2019)
- Chockalingam, S., Pieters, W., Teixeira, A., van Gelder, P.: Bayesian Network Models in Cyber Security: A Systematic Review. In: Lipmaa, H., Mitrokotsa, A., Matulevičius, R. (eds) Secure IT Systems (NordSec 2017), Vol. 10674, pp. 105 – 122. Springer (2017)
- Chockalingam, S., Hadžiosmanović, D., Pieters, W., Teixeira, A., van Gelder, P.: Integrated Safety and Security Risk Assessment Methods: A Survey of Key Characteristics and Applications. In: Havarneanu, G., Setola, R., Nassopoulos, H., Wolthusen, S. (eds) Critical Information Infrastructures Security (CRITIS 2016), Vol. 10242, pp. 50 – 62. Springer (2017)
- Chockalingam, S., Lallie, H.S.: Alarming! Security Aspects of the Wireless Vehicle: Review. International Journal of Cyber-Security and Digital Forensics (IJCSDF). Vol.3, no.4, pp. 200 – 208. (August 2014)
- Chockalingam, S., Lallie, H.S.: The Conceptual Idea of Online Social Media Site (SMS) User Account Penetration Testing System. International Journal of Security, Privacy and Trust Management (IJSPTM). Vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 1 – 11. (August 2014)
- +31 15 27 81080
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Room Number: C1.010
Values, Technology and Innovation
Safety and Security Science
Mon until Fri
Responsible Risk Management
Integration of Safety and Security