S.N. (Bas) Jonkman is a professor of Hydraulic Engineering at Delft University, the Netherlands. He holds the chair of Integral Hydraulic Engineering, which focuses on research and education in the fields of hydraulic structures and flood risk. He holds a PhD degree from TU Delft and has worked for the Dutch government, Royal Haskoning DHV and UC Berkeley. He is an advisor for Rijkswaterstaat (Dutch government), a member of the Dutch Expertise Network on Flood Protection (ENW) and is the chairman of the Civil Engineering department of the Dutch Association of Engineers (KIVI). His research interests include flood risk management, land reclamation and the integral design of hydraulic infrastructure, such as flood defences and storm surge barriers. He has been involved in post-disaster, research and design studies in the Netherlands, New Orleans, Houston, Mozambique and various countries in South East Asia. Dr. Jonkman is currently leading a number of national and European research projects focusing on climate adaptation and strategies for flood risk reduction, including storm surge barriers and nature-based solutions.
- CIE5314 – Flood Defences (contributor)
- CIE4130 – Probabilistic Design (contributor)
Jonkman also guides MSc students for their Msc thesis (CIE5060).
- van Berchum E.C., Mobley W., Jonkman S.N., Timmermans J.S., Kwakkel J.H., Brody S.D. (2019) Evaluation of flood risk reduction strategies through combinations of interventions. Journal of Flood Risk Management 12 (S2) https://doi.org/10.1111/jfr3.1250
- Vuik V., van Vuren S., Borsje B.W., van Wesenbeeck B.K., Jonkman S.N. (2018) Assessing safety of nature-based flood defenses: Dealing with extremes and uncertainties; Coastal Engineering Volume 139, September 2018, Pages 47–64
- Mooyaart L.F., Jonkman S.N. (2017) Overview and design considerations of storm surge. ASCE Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering Vol. 143 Issue 4
- Jonkman S.N. (2013) Advanced flood risk analysis required. Nature Climate Change Vol. 3, Dec. 2013 1004
- Jonkman S.N., Hillen M.M., Nicholls R.J., Kanning, W., van Ledden M. (2013) Costs of adapting coastal defences to sea-level rise – new estimates and their implications. Journal of Coastal Research, 29 (5) 1212-1226
- Jonkman S.N., Maaskant B., Boyd E., Levitan M.L. (2009) Loss of life caused by the flooding of New Orleans after hurricane Katrina: Analysis of the relationship between flood characteristics and mortality. Risk Analysis Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 676-698
- Jonkman S.N., Vrijling J.K., Vrouwenvelder A.C.W.M. (2008) Methods for the estimation of loss of life due to floods: A literature review and a proposal for a new method, Natural Hazards, Vol.46/3, pp. 353-389
- Jonkman S.N., van Gelder P.H.A.J.M., Vrijling J.K. (2003) An overview of quantitative risk measures for loss of life and economic damage, Journal of Hazardous Materials A99 pp. 1–30