Educator of the Year Award
Every year, the study associations together with the Director of Education of each faculty nominate a lecturer/teacher/professor for the title "TU Delft Educator of the Year" (formerly "TU Delft Lecturer of the Year").
In addition to the title, the winner will receive a check for EUR 6,000 on behalf of TU Delft, of which EUR 5,000 is intended to support the development of their own education and EUR 1,000 for private use. The 'TU Delft Educator of the Year' will become automatically the nominee of TU Delft for the national Teacher of the Year Award (ISO Docent van het Jaar verkiezing). This offers the winner the chance to win exclusive participation in the national Comenius network and a cash prize of 25,000 euros for educational innovation.
In 2019, Calvin Rans, Assistant Professor of the Faculty of Aerospace Technology (AE) won the TU Delft election in 2018, and was elected as ISO Teacher of the Year in the Netherlands. Given the large number of committed and inspiring lecturers within our university there is a good chance that we will be able to provide a successor in future national elections.
Every year Rob Mudde, Vice-Rector Magnificus/Vice President Education, and Annoesjka Cabo, Academic Director Teaching Academy invite the study associations to nominate one educator for the title by sending in a concise nomination document.
The deadline for the nominations is Friday 30 June 2023. A selection committee will assess all nominations on the basis of assessment criteria and the nomination document and select the winner.
- 30 June 2023: Deadline one nomination per faculty sent by the study associations.
- In September 2023: Selection committee meeting to discuss the nomination documents & chosing the award winner.
- 9 November 2023 TU Delft Education Day: Official announcement of 'TU Delft Educator of the Year 2023'.
- Jan-Feb 2024: deadline to nominate the TU Delft Educator of the Year for the ISO Docent van het Jaar national election.
A Selection Committee's decision is based on a list of criteria and the nomination document about the nominees.
The nominee for the TU Delft Educator of the Year:
- is inspiring and motivating to students.
- connects to the students.
- uses innovative methods in teaching.
- includes in teaching recent developments in the field, world and society.
- provides a clear course structure and makes a clear connection to other courses.
- accommodates an inclusive learning environment.
Please see the detailed description of each criteria in the nomination document sent to the study associations.
The nomination document
The criteria mentioned above should be accounted for in the nomination document containing:
Part 1. Contact details
Part 2. Argumenation for the 'TU Delft Educator of the Year 2023'
Part 3. Educational Activities of the nominee
Part 4. Approval of the faculty
Please see the detailed description of each Part (4) in the nomination document sent to the study associations.
The Selection Committee consists of the Vice-Rector Magnificus/Vice President Education, the Academic Director of the Teaching Academy, the previous TU Delft Lecturer of the Year, the teamlead of the previous Education Team of the Year, Board member of ORAS, Board member of Lijst Beta, Board member of De Partij, Chairperson/Secretary of Study Association Council (SVR, studentenverenigingenraad).
They will select one nominee on the basis of the criteria and nomination document mentioned above.