Dr. W.T. (William) Ball
My research focuses on air quality, atmospheric chemistry and physics, and climate change; I also work at KNMI (Satellite Observations). Previously, I was at the Institute for Atmospheric and Climate Science at ETH Zurich, and PMOD World Radiation Center in Davos, researching natural forcings of climate and ozone layer trends, and lectured on radiation and climate change. I also did a PhD and postdoc at Imperial College London on solar irradiance variability.
I focus primarily on air quality and air pollution within a climate change context, using satellite observations and chemistry climate models. I am particularly interested in atmospheric trace constituents relevant to public health and the environment and climate, most notably (bad) ozone in the troposphere and within the (good) stratospheric ozone layer. I also really enjoy working with data scientists and statisticians, and learning about and applying state of the art statistical analysis techniques.
- Ball, W.T., lsing, J., Staehelin, J., Davis, S. M., Froidevaux, L., and Peter, T.: Stratospheric ozone trends for 1985–2018: sensitivity to recent large variability, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 19, 12731–12748, 10.5194/acp-19-12731-2019, (2019).
- Ball, W.T., Rozanov, E.V., Alsing, J., Marsh, D.R., Tummon, T., Mortlock, D.J., Kinnison, D., Haigh, J.D., The upper stratospheric solar cycle ozone response, Geophys. Res. Lett., 10.1029/2018GL081501 (2019).
- Ball, W.T., Alsing, J., Mortlock, D.J., Staehelin, J., Haigh, J.D., Peter, T., Tummon, F., Stuebi, R., Stenke, A., Anderson, J., Bourassa, A., Davis, S., Degenstein, D., Frith, S., Froidevaux, L., Roth. C, Sofieva, V., Wang, R., Wild, P. Yu, J., Ziemke, J., Rozanov, E.V., Evidence for a continuous decline in lower stratospheric ozone offsetting ozone layer recovery, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 18, 1379-1394, 10.5194/acp-18-1379-2018, (2018).
- Ball, W.T., Alsing, J., Mortlock, D.J., Rozanov, E.V., Tummon, F., Haigh, J.D., Reconciling differences in stratospheric ozone composites, Atmos. Chem. Phys. Disc., Atmos. Chem. Phys., 17, 12269-12302, 10.5194/acp-17-12269-2017, (2017).
- Ball, W.T., Haigh, J.D., Rozanov, E.V., Kuchar, A., Sukhodolov, T., Tummon, F., Shapiro, A.V., Schmutz, W., High solar cycle spectral variations inconsistent with stratospheric ozone observations, Nature Geoscience, 10.1038/ngeo2640 (2016).
- Ball, W. T., Mortlock D. J., Egerton, J., Haigh, J. D., Assessing the relationship between spectral solar irradiance and stratospheric ozone using Bayesian inference, J. Space Weather Space Clim. 4 A25, 10.1051/swsc/2014023, (2014).
- PI of the International Space Science Institute (ISSI) working group,
“Towards a Universal Framework for Merging Atmospheric Observations from the Ground and Space”
- Member of the WCRP/SPARC Long-term Ozone Trends and Uncertainties in the Stratosphere (LOTUS)
- Co-chair of SPARC/SOLARIS-HEPPA Working Group for “Methodological Analysis” for Solar Influences for SPARC (SOLARIS) - High Energy Particle Precipitation in the Atmosphere (HEPPA) Chemistry Climate Model-Initiative (CCMI) and Coupled Model Intercomparison Project 6 (CMIP6) solar signal detection
Elected member [2019-2027] to the International Commission on the Middle Atmosphere (ICMA) within the International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Science (IAMAS), an association of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG)