Our research focuses on the fundamentals and their application to engineering practice. It combines numerical modelling and physical testing, both on multi-scales, from micro to macro, in the laboratory and the field. The research includes:
- Vehicle dynamics; train-track interaction and pantograph-catenary interaction.
- Contact mechanics.
- Friction, wear, rolling contact fatigue: mechanisms and prevention.
- Noise and vibration.
- Track and embankment stability.
- Structural health monitoring: instrumentation, signal processing, diagnosis and prognosis.
- Big data analytics; physics-informed and data-driven artificial intelligence.
- Asset management for minimizing life cycle costs and maximizing whole system performance.
- Design and maintenance of track and rolling stock.