Beyond the Current
Increasing the energy efficiency of our housing stock is one of the biggest challenges related to the built environment – a challenge that has been embraced in the Netherlands and many other countries. To overcome it, energy-efficient renovation should be viewed not only as a technological challenge, but also as an architectural and a social challenge.
The ‘Beyond the Current’ research through design project generated design solutions for increasing the energy efficiency of four-storey apartment blocks. These solutions were tested for tenant preferences by presenting tenants with 3D virtual design models. The results enabled housing associations and architects to propose renovation measures that respect not only the environment and architectural values, but also the preferences of the tenants of these dwellings.
Beyond the Current was conducted by researchers and designers working at the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment of Delft University of Technology (see the ‘people’ page), in cooperation with Utrecht University of Applied Science.
|Housing Management, Management in the Built Environment
|Heritage & Design, Architectural Engineering & Technology
|Architectural Engineering, Architectural Engineering & Technology
|Prof.dr.ir. V.H. Gruis
|Prof. ir. W. de Jonge
|Prof. ir. M.F. Asselbergs
|C.J. van Oel
|S. El Messlaki
|Utrecht University of Applied Science
|T. de Jonge
The design solutions and tenant surveys were generated in close cooperation with the following architects, housing associations and sector organisations: De Alliantie, Mitros, Haag Wonen, Eigen Haard, Stadgenoot, Van Schagen Architecten, INBO, FARO, BNA, NRP and Huren met Energie.
Based on the project results and experience, a number of publications by our research team are available.
Scientific / Peer-reviewed
- Flagships of the Dutch welfare state in transformation. A transformation framework for balancing sustainability and cultural values in energy efficient renovation of postwar walk-up apartment buildings.
- The relation of energy efficiency and cost of living for the refurbishment of the Dutch, multi-residential building stock. (in progress)
- Retrofit for continuity! Heritage, user preferences and gentrification: Refurbishment and sustainability of tenement apartment blocks in Dutch cities from the interbellum and the post war period.
- Is all-electric an option? About retrofitting and gentrification of pre-war tenement apartment blocks in Amsterdam.
- New ways in retrofitting postwar Dutch walk-up apartment buildings: carbon neutrality, cultural value and user preferences. (in progress)
- The effect of energy efficiency upgrades on the cost of living for the refurbishment of the Dutch, post-war, multi-residential building stock.(in progress)
- Pleidooi voor tweede leven voor de vlaggenschepen van de welvaartstaat.
- Technologie of mens; wie gaat de wording van de Metropoolregio Rotterdam Den haag bepalen?
- Technologie of mens; wie gaat de wording van de Metropoolregio Rotterdam Den Haag bepalen?
- Wonen is emotie! Het Valtheblok in Morgenstond.
- Wonen is emotie! Renovatie Valtheblok in Morgenstond.