Dr. R.E.M. (Riccardo) Riva
I obtained a MSc degree in Physics at the University of Milano in 1999 and a PhD at TU Delft in 2004. I have been working as a researcher at University of Trieste, at University of Milano, at Utrecht University and at TU Delft, where I became faculty member in 2011.
Since 2013 I am a Vidi laureate of the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO).
I am specialized in the study of the Earth's dynamic behaviour through the combination of model predictions and space geodetic observations. In particular, I have been doing research into the elastic and viscoelastic deformation of the solid earth, its effect on gravity and its relation with sea level change.
Keywords: Sea level change, Glacial Isostatic Adjustment (GIA), ice mass change, geocentre motion, co- and post-seismic deformation, lithosphere rheology, sea level fingerprints
BSc Applied Earth Sciences:
AESB1320-17, Mechanics (Responsible Instructor)
MSc Geoscience and Remote Sensing:
CIE4607, Ocean topography and sea level change (Responsible Instructor)
CIE5410, Climate change: science & ethics (Instructor)
CIE4610, Gravity, geodynamics and climate change (Instructor)
CTB3300WCx, Introduction to water and climate (Instructor)
- Sun, Y., & Riva, R.E.M. (2020). A global semi-empirical glacial isostatic adjustment (GIA) model based on Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) data. Earth Syst. Dynam., 11, 129–137. https://doi.org/10.5194/esd-11-129-2020
- Cazenave, A., & the WCRP Global Sea Level Budget Group (2018). Global sea-level budget 1993–present, Earth Syst. Sci. Data, 10, 1551–1590. https://doi.org/10.5194/essd-10-1551-2018
- Frederikse, T., Jevrejeva, S., Riva, R.E., & Dangendorf, S. (2018). A consistent sea-level reconstruction and its budget on basin and global scales over 1958–2014. J. Clim., 31(3), 1267-1280. https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0502.1
- Riva, R. E., Frederikse, T., King, M. A., Marzeion, B., & van den Brocke, M. R. (2017). The global signature of post-1900 land ice wastage on vertical land motion. The Cryosphere, 11, 1327-1332. https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-11-1327-2017
- Jevrejeva, S., Jackson, L. P., Riva, R. E., Grinsted, A., & Moore, J. C. (2016). Coastal sea level rise with warming above 2 C. Proc. Natl. Ac. Sci., 113(47), 13342-13347. https://www.pnas.org/content/113/47/13342.short
- Riva, R.E.M., J.L. Bamber, D.A. Lavallée, and B. Wouters, Sea‐level fingerprint of continental water and ice mass change from GRACE, Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, L19605 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1029/2010GL044770
- Riva, R.E.M., B.C. Gunter, T.J. Urban, L.L.A. Vermeersen, R.C. Lindenbergh, M.M. Helsen, J.L. Bamber, R.S.W. van de Wal, M.R. van den Broeke, and B.E. Schutz. Glacial Isostatic Adjustment over Antarctica from ICESat and GRACE satellite data, Earth Plan. Sci. Lett., 288, 516-523 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2009.10.013
- Bamber, J.L., R.E.M. Riva, L.L.A. Vermeersen, and A. M. LeBroq. Reassessment of the potential contribution to sea level rise from a collapse of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, Science, 324, 901 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1169335
“Multi-disciplinary Approach Towards a Better Understanding of the Seismic Cycle using Two Decades of Space Geodetic Data in Sulawesi SE Asia (MUST2SEA)”, NWO/GO grant ALS-GO/16-35 (2016-ongoing).
“Multi-Scale and self-consistent observations of recent Sea Level change (MuSSeL)”, NWO/ALW Vidi grant (2013-2018).