Dr.ir. M. (Marc) Ottele
My research expertise comprises the internationally upcoming scientific field “Integrated durability and sustainability of the building envelope” which explores the link and interaction between ’sustainability‘ and ’durability‘ not only on the material-, building element- and construction level but also on the level of the built environment as a whole. The materials and constructions “outer skin” expertise includes phenomena such as ageing, degradation and sustainability in the broad sense as well as the use of renewable-, biobased- or bio-ecological materials even with respect to circularity. The interaction between building materials and biology is central in my current research- and education activities.
Besides working in an academic environment, I’m also working in the construction sector, as senior Lead engineer for the Specialism Material science at Heijmans Infra, which is useful for the translation of particular (actual) current and socially relevant problems and challenges into (applied and fundamental) scientific research projects as well as using this knowledge in practice.Due to my expertise I’m active in several committees such as KIWA/BMC College of experts for binders in concrete, NEN standard for concrete, Stutech, SBRCUR/CROW guidelines and participating in “Betonakkoord” subcommittee “reuse of concrete
My current research (and education) activities focuses on the green building envelope (Dutch: ‘groene buitenhuid’) comprising application of living vegetation on (‘greening’ of) the outer skin of buildings/constructions, particularly on roofs and facades. Fundamental research and the development of so called living wall systems (LWS; vertical vegetated cladding systems) belongs to that since It is one of the most innovative and fast developing fields of sustainable technologies related to the design of the built environment.
Other subjects are the development of ’bio-receptive‘ materials, e.g. such as ’grow able‘ concrete or Stoney materials. Accordingly the quantification aspect of ecosystem functionalities and to the challenge of how to create multifunctional ‘added’ value for the (built) environment and society is part of the research
- CIE 4100 Materials & Ecological Engineering; CIE 5100 Maintenance and repair of materials in construction; Minor modules Sustainable Communities; Faculty of Civil Engineering;
- Lecturer in Technoledge Facade Design AR0115 & Future Envelope AR0821 as well as Innovation & Sustainability AR0531/AR2A015 faculty of Architecture.
- Quantification of fine dust deposition on different plant species in a vertical greening system; Perini, K., Ottelé, M., Giulini, S., Magliocco, A. & Roccotiello, E. Ecological Engineering. 100, p. 268-276 9 p.
- Fassadenbegrünung; Köhler, M. & Ottele, M. 2012 Handbuch Bauwerksbegrünung. Köhler, M. (ed.). Köln: Verlagsgesellschaft Rudolf Müller GmbH & Co.KG, p. 103-146 250 p.
- Comparative life cycle for green facades and living walls; Ottele, M., Perini, K., Fraaij, A. L. A., Haas, E. M. & Raiteri, R. 2011. Energy and Buildings. 43, 12, p. 3419-3429 11 p.
- Comparative experimental approach to investigate the thermal behaviour of vertical greened façades of buildings; Ottele, M. & Perini, K. 2017 In : Ecological Engineering. Volume 108,part A, p. 152–161.
- Quantifying the deposition of particulate matter on climber vegetation on living walls Ottelé, M, Bohemen, H.D., Fraaij, A.L.A., Ecological Engineering. Volume 36, Issue 2, February 2010, Pages 154-162.
- A review of green systems within the indoor environment. Armijos Moya, T., van den Dobbelsteen, A., Ottelé, M. & Bluyssen, P. M. 2018. Indoor and Built Environment. 12 p.
- A method for determining the remaining time to chloride induced corrosion initiation of existing concrete structures Polder, R., Boutz, M. & Ottele, M. 2018 4th International Conference on Service Life Design for Infrastructures: (SLD4) 27-30 August 2018 – Delft, Netherlands. RILEM, p. 870-878 (Rilem proceedings; no. PRO 125).
- Fassadenbegrünung; Handbuch Bauwerksbegrünung. Köhler, M. & Ottele, M. 2012. ISBN: 978-3-481-02968-5A
- Green Building Envelope: A Crucial Contribution to Biophilic Cities. ISBN:978-3-319-09286-7.
- Eco-engineering: een symbiose van harde en zachte systemen. van Bohemen & Ottele, (ed.). ISBN 9789065622914.
- The green building envelope. ISBN:978-90-9026217-8
Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
2 or 3 days per week
Materials, Mechanics, Management & Design (3Md)
Materials and Environment
Chair / Research:
Jacqueline van Unen-Bergenhenegouwen