Prof.dr. R.M.P. (Rob) Goverde
Rob Goverde is Professor of Railway Traffic Management & Operations at the Department of Transport & Planning, Director of the Digital Rail Traffic Lab, and Leader of the Railway Systems theme of the TU Delft Transport Institute. Goverde has an MSc in Mathematics from Utrecht University (1993), a PDEng in Mathematical Modelling and Decision Support from Delft University of Technology (1996), and a PhD in Railway Operations from Delft University of Technology (2005).
Rob Goverde’s research concentrates around the planning and management of railway traffic systems with as current focal areas i) resilient railway timetabling and capacity planning, ii) intelligent railway traffic management and disruption management, iii) energy-efficient train control and automatic train operation, and iv) railway safety and signalling. He combines a mathematical background with railway domain knowledge to analyse and optimize railway operations using operations research, optimal control, max-plus algebra, data analytics, and simulation.
Rob Goverde teaches the MSc courses ‘Railway Operations and Control’ and ‘Railway Traffic Management’, and contributes to the MSc course ‘Planning and Operations of Public Transport Systems’. He coordinates the MSc Annotation Railway Systems and supervises numerous MSc students graduating in railway transport. He also coordinates the collaborative BSc programme in Traffic and Transportation with Beijing Jiaotong University (BJTU).
- Ghaemi, N., Cats, O., Goverde, R.M.P. (2017). A microscopic model for optimal train short-turnings during complete blockages. Transportation Research Part B: Methodology, 105, 423-437.
- Sparing, D., Goverde, R.M.P. (2017). A cycle time optimization model for generating stable periodic railway timetables. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 98, 198-223.
- Scheepmaker, G.M., Goverde, R.M.P., Kroon, L.G. (2017). Review of energy-efficient train control and timetabling. European Journal of Operational Research, 257, 335-376.
- Wang, P., Goverde, R.M.P. (2016). Multiple-phase train trajectory optimization with signalling and operational constraints. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 69, 255-275.
- Goverde, R.M.P., Bešinović, N., Binder, A., Cacchiani, V., Quaglietta, E., Roberti, R., Toth. P. (2016). A three-level framework for performance-based railway timetabling. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 67, 62-83.
- Kecman, P., Goverde, R.M.P. (2015). Online data-driven adaptive prediction of train event times. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 16(1), 465-474.
- Goverde, R.M.P., Corman, F., D'Ariano, A. (2013). Railway line capacity consumption of different railway signalling systems under scheduled and disturbed conditions. Journal of Rail Transport Planning and Management, 3(3), 78-94.
- Goverde, R.M.P. (2007). Railway timetable stability analysis using max-plus system theory. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 41(2), 179-201.
- MOVINGRAIL: Moving block and virtual coupling new generations of rail signalling. Together with University of Birmingham, Technical University Braunschweig, PARK Signalling, Technolution. Funded by Shift2Rail.
- Theory and methodology for comprehensive utilization of the carrying capacity of the high-speed railway network. Together with Beijing Jiaotong University (BJTU). Funded by NSFC and China Railway Foundation.
- Improving sustainability of regional railway services. Funded by Arriva.
- Improving the resilience of railway systems. Together with Utrecht University, Erasmus University Rotterdam, University of Warwick, NS, ProRail and TNO. Funded by NWO.
- Passenger-oriented disruption management in railway transportation. Funded by CSC.
- Energy-efficient railway timetabling. Funded by NS.
- Design of high-speed rail passenger service plans. Funded by CSC.
- Editor-in-Chief Journal of Rail Transport Planning & Management
- Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Board member of the International Association of Railway Operations Research (IAROR)
- Staff member TRAIL Research School
- Member of the Board of Examiners of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Prof.dr. R.M.P. Goverde
- ancillary activities
2020-01-01 - 2022-01-01