VISA/Residence Permit: Non-EU/Non-EFTA nationals

All non-EU and non-EFTA nationals need a MVV Visa to enter the Netherlands and/or a Residence Permit to be able to follow an exchange programme.

If you are a non-EU/EFTA national, but you hold a valid Residence Permit for another European country in the Schengen area, you are exempt from the MVV Visa, provided that the permit is valid until the day of you receive your Dutch residence permit.

In order to apply for your MVV Visa and/or Residence Permit for Study, you need to fulfil the following conditions:

  • You have been (conditionally) admitted to TU Delft as an exchange student.
  • You are able to demonstrate your financial solvability to cover your living costs

To be able to demonstrate your financial solvability to the IND (Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service) you will need to prove that you have sufficient financial means to live in the Netherlands during your exchange programme. This standard amount for the fall semester is €7325 and for the Spring semester €8546. Once you have confirmed your attendance we will send you your personalised financial letter which will highlight what options are available to you. The preferred method of proving this, is by bank transfer.

TU Delft will only start the visa and/or residence permit application when the financial letter requirements have been met.

Application steps

  1. Follow the instructions as indicated in the Financial Letter
  2. Fill in and upload the required application documents for your MVV visa and/or Residence Permit for Study:
    • Antecedents Certificate (You can leave the V-number blank, this number is only provided by the Immigration Office after they approve your residence permit)
    • Declaration for Study Residence Permit
    • Declaration of intent to undergo a TB test (please have a parent or other legal representative co-sign the declaration if you are under 18 years of age) As a non-EU/EFTA student, you are required to undergo the TB test within three months after the start of your study programme, unless your nationality is stated in this list. TB test results from your home country or another country are not accepted in the Netherlands.

After your arrival

Once you have opened your bank account in the Netherlands TU Delft will transfer your living cost to this bank account.

The costs made for the Visa and/or residence permit (if applicable) will be deducted from the total amount.

Ensure you complete your bank details in Studielink when known.

After completion of your exchange programme

You must return your residence permit to the IND before you leave.

IND Bureau documenten
P.O. Box 7025
8007 HA Zwolle
The Netherlands

If you are an exchange student with a Dutch residence permit for study, it does not allow you to do an internship, the internship company where you want to do your internship has to apply for a residence/work permit.