In 1985, Karl-Heinz Wolf joined the Faculty of Mining and Petroleum Engineering and started as research assistant in Reservoir Geology. In 1988 he continued as Assistant Professor for Petroleum Engineering. From 1996 till now he is an Associate Professor for the section of Applied Geophysics and Petrophysics doing research, education and managerial tasks. From 2011 till 2019 he was director of the Geoscience and Engineering Laboratories and supporting laboratory research, field work and educational projects in geology, geophysics, reservoir engineering and geo-engineering.
BSc degree in Geology with Physics and Mathematics from the Faculty of Geology, Leiden University
MSc degree with a major in Metamorphic Petrology and minors in Exploration Geophysics and Economic Geology, from the Utrecht University,
PhD in Applied Sciences, Delft University of Technology. Thesis: “The Interaction between Underground Coal Fires and their Roof Rocks”.
The combination of his Geology, Petrophysics and Reservoir Engineering research with environmental and societal views, resulted into projects involving carbon-dioxide storage with an extension to the additional benefits of CO2-EOR/EGR and CO2-enhanced geothermal reservoir performance It also includes geochemical aspects on scaling and the application of foam. All activities are connected to field scale activities and translated to laboratory work with large scale set-ups and experiments under in-situ conditions.
Synergetic Utilisation of CO2 storage Coupled with geothermal Energy Deployment. Funding: RVO-ACT.
A consortium of partners from the Netherlands, UK, Turkey and Iceland investigate the potential of (re)injecting CO2 into geothermal fields, funded by ERA-Net ACT (RVO in the Netherlands). Producing geothermal fields at Kizildere in Turkey and Hellisheidi on Iceland are used to test injection of CO2 into geothermal fields complementing extensive laboratory testing. Activities: CO2 storage coupled to geothermal reservoir improvement, lab to field scale seismic monitoring, seismic source development, experimental rock-fluid interaction. Aim: Accelerating and maturing CCUS technology application, monitoring and verification technologies storage projects.
The general aim of Dimoprec is to accelerate energy efficient geothermal development. Through knowledge development, we minimize operational risks and prolong the lifespan of geothermal systems, reduce operational costs with environmental-societal risk minimization and improve subsurface integrity. Activities & aim: Development of a Skid for online water monitoring coupled to a prediction model (under development) to assess potential scaling points along the geothermal loop.
The objective of Circextin is to create a strategic partnerships between Universities and companies developing a comprehensive existing training platform that will help to modify study programs related to extractive industry, including knowledge of proper waste management and incorporation of a circular economy approach. The program aims to strengthen the strategic and structured cooperation between higher education institutions.
After graduation, Karl-Heinz Wolf worked from 1983 for two years on different assignments, varying from field exploration in Scandinavia, through banking, to geo-engineering activities. In 1985, when following post-academic courses in Reservoir-Engineering at Delft University, he joined the Faculty of Mining and Petroleum Engineering. He started as research assistant in Petroleum Geology (till 1988), followed by Petroleum Engineering (till 1996) and continued as Associate Professor in Applied Geophysics and Petrophysics. From 2011 on he is head of the Geoscience and Engineering Laboratories. This department section has 14 technicians supporting research, field work and educational projects in geology, geophysics, reservoir engineering and geo-engineering.
This career was encouraged by his continuous development of multi-disciplinary societal relevant research programs and projects. Through his career he improved and used petrophysical techniques to develop rock texture characterisation and quantification for reservoir engineering and rock mechanics programs. He works on the interfaces between geology, reservoir engineering and geophysics. It started with themes regarding clean coal technology, such as in-situ coal combustion, natural coal fires, In-situ oil (shale) combustion and CO2 enhanced coalbed methane production. After ten years environmental research was included through carbon-dioxide storage with an extension to the additional benefits of CO2-EOR/EGR. The expertise he obtained was transferred to gas shale, oil shale and carbonate-acid research in the past ten years. All activities have been associated to large experimental set-ups for scaled tests. Realizing two decades ago that image analysis is an essential tool for rock and pore texture characterisation, he started an image laboratory, which now includes all services needed to quantify images from outcrop scale to micro-CTS scale.
2011 - present
Director of the Geoscience and Engineering Laboratory.
2007 - present
Associate Professor for Petrophysics at the Department of Geoscience and Engineering.
1999 - 2007
Assistant Professor in the Section of Applied Geophysics and Petrophysics, CEG, Department of Geotechnology , Delft University of Technology.
1994 - 1997
Member of the daily board of the Faculty of Mining and Petroleum Engineering, Delft University of Technology.
1989 - 1999
Assistant Professor in the Section of Petroleum Engineering, Faculty of Mining and Petroleum Engineering, Delft University of Technology.
1985 - 1989
Research Assistant in the Section of Petroleum Engineering, Faculty of Mining and Petroleum Engineering, Delft University of Technology.
1984 - 1985
Banking: Raw materials commodities.
1983 - 1984
Contract Exploration Geologist/Geophysicist, with University of Utrecht, and the Norwegian and Swedish Geological Surveys.
1980 - 1983
Student assistant in Economic Geology for Ore Petrology, Utrecht State University, Faculty of Earth Sciences.
Main Educational Activities.
- Lectures and practicals in Petrophysics for BSc And MSc-students.
- Field development (Petrophysical part) for BSc- and MSc-students.
- Image analysis. Quantification of rock textures and pore structures for MSc- and PhD-students.
- Geothermal energy; field development for MSc- and PhD- students all over the Netherlands (till 2014).
- Coal Petrography for BSc-students (till 2011).
- 14 PhD-students as co-promotor or as technical supervisor
- 26 MSc-students mostly in Petrophysics, Petroleum Geology and Reservoir Engineering
- 20 Minor and BSc-students mainly within the Delft Geothermal Program
- Reviewer for The International Panel on Climate Change (IPPC).
- Energy & Fuel
- SPE & EAGE
- Coal Geology
- International Journal for Greenhouse Gas Control
Relevant Reviewed Articles
- Khosrokhavar, R., Griffiths, S., and Wolf, K. H., Shale Gas Formations and Their Potential for Carbon Storage: Opportunities and Outlook'', Environmental Processes, 1-17, (2014).
- N. Shojai Kaveh, E.S.J. Rudolph, S.N. Ashrafizadeh, W.R. Rossen, K-H. Wolf, “Application of Surface Free Energy Analysis in Evaluation of Interfacial Interactions: Crude Oil-Water-Sandstone / CO2 or Flue Gas”, Accepted in 10th volume of the Progress in Oilfield Chemistry book series, 2014.
- Khosrokhavar, R., Wolf, K.-H., Bruining, H., 2014. Sorption of CH4 and CO2 on a carboniferous shale from Belgium using a manometric setup. International Journal of Coal Geology, 128-129, pp. 153-161.
- Shojai Kaveh, N., Rudolph, E.S.J., Van Hemert, P., Rossen, W.R., Wolf, K.-H., 2014. Wettability evaluation of a CO2/water/bentheimer sandstone system: Contact angle, dissolution, and bubble size. Energy and Fuels, 28 (6), pp. 4002-4020.
- Ameri, A., Shojai Kaveh, N., Rudolph, E.S.J., Wolf, K.-H., Farajzadeh, R., Bruining, J., 2013. Investigation on interfacial interactions among crude oil-brine-sandstone rock-CO2 by contact angle measurements. (2013) Energy and Fuels, 27 (2), pp. 1015-1025.
- Salimi, H., Wolf, K.-H., Bruining, J., 2012. The influence of capillary pressure on the phase equilibrium of the CO2-water system: Application to carbon sequestration combined with geothermal energy. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 11 (SUPPL), pp. 47-66.
- Shojai Kaveh, N., Wolf, K.-H., Ashrafizadeh, S.N., Rudolph, E.S.J., 2012. Effect of coal petrology and pressure on wetting properties of wet coal for CO2 and flue gas storage. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 11 (SUPPL), pp. 91-101.
- Salimi, H., Wolf, K.-H., Bruining, J., 2012. Negative-saturation approach for compositional flow simulations of mixed CO 2/water injection into geothermal reservoirs including phase appearance and disappearance. SPE Journal, 17 (2), pp. 502-522.
- Battistutta, E., Lutynski, M., Bruining, H., Wolf, K.-H., Rudolph, S., 2012. Adequacy of equation of state models for determination of adsorption of gas mixtures in a manometric set up. International Journal of Coal Geology, 89 (1), pp. 114-122.
- Salimi, H., Wolf, K.-H., Bruining, J., 2012. Negative Saturation Approach for Non-Isothermal Compositional Two-Phase Flow Simulations.Transport in Porous Media, 91 (2), pp. 391-422.
- Salimi, H., Wolf, K.-H., 2012. Integration of heat-energy recovery and carbon sequestration. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 6, pp. 56-68.
- Shojai Kaveh, N., Rudolph, E.S.J., Wolf, K.H.A.A., Ashrafizadeh, S.N., 2011. Wettability determination by contact angle measurements: HvbB coal-water system with injection of synthetic flue gas and CO2. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 364 (1), pp. 237-247.
- Lutynski, M.A., Battistutta, E., Bruining, H., Wolf, K.H., 2011. Discrepancies in the assessment of CO 2 storage capacity and methane recovery from coal with selected equations of state. Part II. Reservoir simulation. Physicochemical Problems of Mineral Processing, 47, pp. 207-212.
- Lutynski, M.A., Battistutta, E., Bruining, H., Wolf, K.-H.A.A. 2011. Discrepancies in the assessment of CO 2 storage capacity and methane recovery from coal with selected equations of state. Physicochemical Problems of Mineral Processing, 47, pp. 159-168.
- Weijermars, R., Drijkoningen, G., Heimovaara, T.J., Rudolph, E.S.J., Weltje, G.J., Wolf, K.H.A.A., 2011. Unconventional gas research initiative for clean energy transition in Europe. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 3 (2), pp. 402-412.
- van Dijk, P., Zhang, J., Jun, W., Kuenzer, C., Wolf, K.-H., 2011. Assessment of the contribution of in-situ combustion of coal to greenhouse gas emission; based on a comparison of Chinese mining information to previous remote sensing estimates. International Journal of Coal Geology, 86 (1), pp. 108-119.
- Gensterblum, Y., van Hemert, P., Billemont, P., Battistutta, E., Busch, A., Krooss, B.M., De Weireld, G., Wolf, K.-H.A.A., 2010. European inter-laboratory comparison of high pressure CO2 sorption isotherms II: Natural coals. International Journal of Coal Geology, 84 (2), pp. 115-124.
- Salimi, H., Wolf, K.-H., Bruining, J., 2010. Modelling the closure of thief zones in carbonate reservoirs using acids. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 49 (20), pp. 10080-10093.
- Battistutta, E., van Hemert, P., Lutynski, M., Bruining, H., Wolf, K.-H., 2010. Swelling and sorption experiments on methane, nitrogen and carbon dioxide on dry Selar Cornish coal. International Journal of Coal Geology, 84 (1), pp. 39-48.
- Van Hemert, P., Rudolph, E.S.J., Bruining, J., Wolf, K.-H.A.A., 2010. Estimate of equation of state uncertainty for manometric sorption experiments: Case study with helium and carbon dioxide. SPE Journal, 15 (1), pp. 146-151.
- Gensterblum, Y., van Hemert, P., Billemont, P., Busch, A., Charriére, D., Li, D., Krooss, B.M., de Weireld, G., Prinz, D., Wolf, K.-H.A.A., 2009. European inter-laboratory comparison of high pressure CO2 sorption isotherms. I: Activated carbon. Carbon, 47 (13), pp. 2958-2969.
- Van Hemert, P., Bruining, H., Rudolph, E.S.J., Wolf, K.-H.A.A., Maas, J.G., 2009. Improved manometric setup for the accurate determination of supercritical carbon dioxide sorption. Review of Scientific Instruments, 80 (3), art. no. 035103.
- Mazumder, S., Wolf, K.H.A.A., Hemert, P., Busch, A., 2008. Laboratory experiments on environmental friendly means to improve coalbed methane production by carbon Dioxide/Flue Gas Injection. Transport in Porous Media, 75 (1), pp. 63-92.
- Mazumder, S., Wolf, K.H., 2008, Differential swelling and permeability change of coal in response to CO2 injection for ECBM. International Journal of Coal Geology, 74 (2), pp. 123-138.
- Shi, J.-Q., Mazumder, S., Wolf, K.-H., Durucan, S., 2008. Competitive Methane Desorption by Supercritical CO2 Injection in Coal. Transport in Porous Media, 75 (1), pp. 35-54.
- Spetzler, J., Šijačić, D., Wolf, K.-H.. Application of a linear finite-frequency theory to time-lapse crosswell tomography in ultrasonic and numerical experiments, (2007) Geophysics, 72 (6), pp. O19-O27.
- Karl-Heinz Wolf and Hans Bruining, 2007. Modelling the interaction between underground coal fires and their roof rocks. Fuel, 86 (17-18), pp. 2761-2777.
- Karl-Heinz A.A. Wolf, Frank van Bergen, Rudy Ephraim and Henk Pagnier, 2007. Determination of the Cleat Angle Distribution of the RECOPOL Coal Seams, using CT-Scans and Image Analysis on Drilling Cuttings and Coal Blocks. International Journal of Coal Geology, , 73 (3-4), pp. 259-272.
- Nikolai Siemons, Karl-Heinz A.A. Wolf and Johannes Bruining, 2007. Interpretation of carbon dioxide diffusion behavior in coals. International Journal of Coal Geology, 72 (3-4), pp. 315-324
- S. Mazumder, K.-H.A.A. Wolf, K. Elewaut and R. Ephraim, 2006. Application of X-ray computed tomography for analyzing cleat spacing and cleat aperture in coal samples. International Journal of Coal Geology, Volume 68, Issues 3-4, 2 October 2006, Pages 205-222.
- Saikat Mazumder, Amit Karnik, and Karl Heinz Wolf, 2006. Swelling of Coal in Response to CO2 Sequestration for ECBM and Its Effect on Fracture Permeability, SPE Journal, Vol. 11, Number 3, Paper no. 97754-PA. September 2006, pp. 390-398.
- S. Mazumder, P. van Hemert, J. Bruining, K.-H.A.A. Wolf and Karel Drabe, 2006. In situ CO2–coal reactions in view of carbon dioxide storage in deep unminable coal seams. Fuel, Volume 85, Issues 12-13, September 2006, Pages 1904-1912.
- S. Mazumder, P. van Hemert, A. Busch, K-H.A.A. Wolf and P. Tejera-Cuesta, 2006. Flue gas and pure CO2 sorption properties of coal: A comparative study. International Journal of Coal Geology, Volume 67, Issue 4, 3 July 2006, Pages 267-279.
- Nikolai Siemons, Hans Bruining, Hein Castelijns and Karl-Heinz Wolf, 2006. Pressure dependence of the contact angle in a CO2–H2O–coal system. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Volume 297, Issue 2, 15 May 2006, Pages 755-761.
- Wolf, K.H.A.A., D. Bossie-Codreanu, R. Ephraim, N. Siemons, 2004. Analysing cleat angles in coal seams using image analysis techniques on artificial drilling cuttings and prepared coal blocks. In: Geologica Belgica, Special Issue on Coal, Vol. 7, No. 3-4, p.105-113, ISSN: 1374-8505.
- Mazumder, S., K.H.A.A. Wolf, 2004. An overview of the potentials and prospects of coalbed methane exploration and exploitation in the permo-carboniferous coal measures of the Barakar formation, Jharia basin, India. In: Geologica Belgica, Special Issue on Coal, Vol. 7, No. 3-4, p. 147-156, ISSN: 1374-8505.
- Bossie-Codreanu, D., K.H.A.A. Wolf, R. Ephraim, 2004. Characterization method for coal bed methane. In: Geologica Belgica, Special Issue on Coal, Vol. 7, No. 3-4, p. 137-145, ISSN: 1374-8505.
- N. Siemons, J. Bruining, Wolf, K.H.A.A., 2004. Multiphase flow experiments in order to understand the behaviour of (partly) saturated coals as a gas reservoir: examples. In: Geologica Belgica, Special Issue on Coal, Vol.7, No. 3-4, p. 115-121, ISSN:1374-8505.
- C. N. Hamelinck, A. P. C. Faaij, W. C. Turkenburg, F. van Bergen, H. J. M. Pagnier, O. H. M. Barzandji, K.-H. A. A. Wolf and G. J. Ruijg, 2002. CO2 enhanced coalbed methane production in the Netherlands. Energy, Volume 27, Issue 7, July 2002, Pages 647-674.
- Jiejie Huang, J. Bruining and K. -H. A. A. Wolf , 2001: Modeling of gas flow and temperature fields in underground coal fires. Fire Safety Journal, Volume 36, Issue 5, July 2001, Pages 477-489.
- Barzandji, O.H., K-H.A.A. Wolf, J. Bruining, 2001. Injecting CO2 for Improved CBM production. World Coal, vol. 7, no.2, pp. 63 – 69.
- M. H. H. Hettema, K.-H.A.A. Wolf and D. V. Niepce, 1999. A microstructural analysis of the compaction of claystone aggregates at high temperatures. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Volume 36, Issue 1, January 1999, Pages 57-68.
- M.H.H. Hettema, K-H.A.A. Wolf and C.J. De Pater, 1998. The influence of steam pressure on thermal spalling of sedimentary rock: Theory and experiments. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Volume 35, Issue 1, January 1998, Pages 3-15.
- Schreurs, H., K.‑H.A.A. Wolf, J. Bruining, E.N.J. Biezen, 1996; Two bytes at a cherry; Economical exploitation of coalbed methane. Coalbed Methane Review, 1996, 6, p. 13‑14.
- Xu, Y. Wolf, K-H; Development and prospect of underground coal gasification in Europe. (In Cinese) Gas & Heat; Journal of the City Gas Society of China, vol. 14, 4, 1995, p. 12-16.
- C.J. de Pater, L. Weijers, M. Savic, K.H.A.A. Wolf, P.J. van den Hoek, , D.T. Barr, 1994, Experimental Study of Nonlinear Effects in Hydraulic Fracture Propagation, Paper no. 25893-PA, SPE Production & Facilities, Volume 9, Number 4, pp. 239-246.
- Pietersen, H.S., K-H.A.A. Wolf, A.L.A. Fraay; Oude techniek voor nieuwe materialen: Microscopie geeft inzicht in macrostructuur ZOAB. C.R.O.W. - Wegen, 66, 5, 1992, p. 17-21. +, IF: -.
Li, K., Wolf, K. H. A. A. & Rossen, W. R., 2021, Effects of Gas Trapping on Foam Mobility in a Model Fracture. In: Transport in Porous Media. 138, 1, p. 185-200 16 p.
Janssen, M. T. G., Barnhoorn, A., Draganov, D., Wolf, K. H. A. A. & Durucan, S., 2021. Seismic velocity characterization of geothermal reservoir rocks for CO2 storage performance assessment. In: Applied Sciences (Switzerland). 11, 8, p. 1-30, 30 pages.
Characterization of Fontainebleau Sandstone: Quartz Overgrowth and its Impact on Pore-Throat Framework. Al Saadi F, Wolf KH, Kruijsdijk C.V. (2017), J Pet Environ Biotechnol 7: 328. doi: 10.4172/2157-7463.1000328
Peksa, AE., Wolf, KHAA. & Zitha, PLJ., Bentheimer sandstone revisited for experimental purposes. In: Marine and Petroleum Geology. 67, November, 2015, p. 701-719, 19 pages pages.
Shojai Kaveh, N., Barnhoorn, A. & Wolf, K. H., Wettability evaluation of silty shale caprocks for CO2 storage1 June 2016. In: International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. 49, p. 425-435, 11 pages.
Salimi, H., Wolf, K.-H., 2012. Integration of heat-energy recovery and carbon sequestration. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 6, pp. 56-68.
Mazumder, S., Wolf, K.H.A.A., Hemert, P., Busch, A., 2008. Laboratory experiments on environmental friendly means to improve coalbed methane production by carbon Dioxide/Flue Gas Injection. Transport in Porous Media, 75 (1), pp. 63-92.
Karl-Heinz Wolf and Hans Bruining, 2007. Modelling the interaction between underground coal fires and their roof rocks. Fuel, 86 (17-18), pp. 2761-2777.