Timo is an expert in reliability and risk analysis for civil engineering applications. He studied European Civil Engineering Management (ECEM) at the University of Applied Sciences (FH) in Oldenburg and got his Dipl.-Ing. in 2004. In 2006, he got his Master's degree cum laude, at Delft University of Technology with a specialisation in Hydraulic and Geotechnical. He continued at the TU Delft and completed his PhD in 2014.
Since 2007 Timo is a senior researcher and consultant in Risk Analysis at Deltares. And since 2013, he is also a part-time lecturer at the Department of Hydraulic Engineering of Delft University of Technology.
For details also refer to his LinkedIn profile.
- reliability of levees and flood risk
- geotechnical reliability and risk analysis
- internal erosion / under-seepage / piping
- slope stability with influence of seismic action and liquefaction
- risk-based decision making (e.g. site investigation planning)
- spatial statistics and the impact of heterogeneity on the reliability of geotechnical structures
- Bayesian (decision) analysis
- Schweckendiek, T., Vrouwenvelder, A.C.W.M., Calle, E.O.F., Jongejan, R.B., Kanning, W.: Partial Factors for Flood Defenses in the Netherlands. Modern Geotechnical Codes of Practice – Development and Calibration, Fenton, G.A. et al. (eds.). Special Geotechnical Publication. Taylor & Francis. 2013.
- Schweckendiek, T.: Updating Piping Reliability with Field Performance Observations. Structural Safety (2014).
- Schweckendiek, T., Vrouwenvelder, A.C.W.M.: Reliability Updating and Decision Analysis for Head Monitoring of Levees. Georisk 7(1), special issue “Levee Reliability and Flood Risk (2013).
- Courage, W., Vrouwenvelder, A.C.W.M., van Mierlo, T., Schweckendiek, T.: System Effects in Flood Risk Calculations. Georisk 7(1), special issue “Levee Reliability and Flood Risk (2013).
(last updated: July 2014)
Honors & awards
- ENW (Dutch Expertise Network on Flood Protection), member working group Flood Risk (ENW-V) since 2011
- ISSMGE-TC304 (Risk Management in Engineering Practice), committee member since 2010
- ELGIP (European Large Geotechnical Institutions Platform), member Young ELGIP 2008-2012
- NVRB (Dutch Association for Risk Analysis and Operational Safety), member since 2008