Prof.dr. F. Scarano
- Department Chair AWEP (Aerodynamics, Wind Energy, Flight Performance-Propulsion) Faculty of Aerospace Engineering (AE), TU Delft, 2013 – current
- Full Professor of Aerodynamics, TU Delft (AE), 2008 – current
- Head of Section Aerodynamics, TU Delft (AE), 2010 – 2015
- Director of Graduate School, TU Delft (AE), 2012 – 2014
- Associate Professor (Experimental Aerodynamics), TU Delft (AE), 2004 – 2008
- Assistant Professor (Aerodynamics), TU Delft (AE), 2000 – 2004
- Trainee MARS (Microgravity Research Center and Support) center and ASI (Italian Space Agency). Training period for the co-ordination of the ASI utilisation of the International Space Station (ISS) at the NASA Control Center in Houston, Texas, 2000
- Researcher (Environmental and Applied Fluid Dynamics Department) von Karman Institute (BE), 1998 – 2000
- Experimental Aerodynamics
- Flow Diagnostic Techniques
- Particle Image Velocimetry
- Turbulent Flows and Vortex Dynamics
- Gasdynamics and Re-entry Vehicle Aerothermodynamics
- Aerodynamics of Personal Air-Mobility
- Sports Aerodynamics
- Physics I - Thermodynamics (BSc)
- Compressible Aerodynamics (BSc)
- Supersonic Wind Tunnel Exercise (BSc)
- Flow Measurement Techniques (MSc)
- Experimental Aerodynamics (MSc, PhD)
- Particle Image Velocimetry (PhD)
- HOMER (H2020, experimental aeroelasticity, lead DLR, 2018-2020)
- RENAULT F1 (advanced wind tunnel measurement techniques, 2018-2022)
- SMARTANSWER (EU-ITN, experimental aeroacoustics, lead VKI, 2017-2020)
- FLOVISP (EU-ERC, Proof of Concept, pressure from PIV, 2016-2017)
- AFDAR (coordinator, EU-FP7, advanced flow diagnostics in aeronautics, 2010-2014)
- TRAV (ESA - European Space Agency, ARIANE-V afterbody aerodynamics, 2010)
- FLOVIST (EU-ERC, flow visualization inspired aeroacoustics by Tomo-PIV, 2009-2014)
- LaVision GmbH (advancements in Particle Image Velocimetry, 2005-present)
- COMPRPIV (DNW-German Dutch Wind Tunnels, PIV in high-speed wind tunnels, 2005)
- EXSTEP (ESA-European Space Agency, re-entry aerothermodynamics, 2003)
- PIVNET I - II (European research network on Particle Image Velocimetry)
- EUROPIV (European research network on Particle Image Velocimetry)
Fulvio Scarano graduated in Aerospace Engineering at University of Naples (1996). Obtained the Ph.D. in 2000 (von Karman Institute, Theodor von Karman prize) and joined TU Delft at the faculty of Aerospace Engineering in the Aerodynamics Section in the same year.
Since 2008 he is full professor of Aerodynamics and acts as head of section since 2010. Starting director of Aerospace Engineering Graduate School (2012).
Currently director of the AWEP department (Aerodynamics, Wind Energy, Flight Performance and propulsion).
Recipient of Marie-Curie grant (1999), Dutch Science Foundation VIDI grant (2005) and of the European Research Council grant (ERC, 2009). European project coordinator (AFDAR, Advanced Flow Diagnostics for Aeronautical Research, 2010-2013).
Promoted and supervised more than 20 PhDs.
The research interests cover the development of particle image velocimetry (PIV) and its applications to high-speed aerodynamics in the supersonic and hypersonic regime. Notable developments are the image deformation technique, Tomographic PIV for 3D flow velocity measurements and its use to quantitatively determine pressure fluctuations and acoustic emissions in wind tunnel experiments.
Recent works deal with the combination of PIV data with CFD techniques, extension of PIV to large-scale wind tunnel experiments and applications ranging from sport aerodynamics to ground vehicles, from aircraft to rocket aerodynamics.
Author of more than 200 publications, delivered more than 20 keynote lectures worldwide.
He acts as editorial board member of many international conferences and journals, Measurement Science and Technology and Experiments in Fluids, among others.
COURSES AND LECTURES
FELLOWSHIPS & AWARDS
2011 European Space Agency (ESA) Award: Aerothermodynamics for Launchers
2010 STAB-Forschungspreis: Investigation of turbulent spot by time-resolved Tomo-PIV
2014 – 2015 ERC Grant: Proof of Concept. Project FLOVISP (150kEUR)
2008 – 2012 ERC Grant: Starting independent investigator. Project FLOVIST (1.5MEUR)
2004 – 2008 NWO VIDI Grant (Dutch Science Foundation). Project COMPRPIV (650kEUR)
1998 – 1999 Marie Curie individual scholarship (18 months), training and mobility of researchers program. Doctoral research at von Karman Institute, Rhode Saint-Genese, BE
1996 – 1997 Post-graduate scholarship (9 months), Diploma Course Program, VKI, BE1994 EU Scholarship, Leonardo Program, (4 months) research internship VKI, BE