Z. (Zekeriya) Erkin
Z. (Zekeriya) Erkin
- Director of the Technical Track, Executive Master Program Cyber Security, Leiden University [2018--present]
- Steering committee member of the Cyber Security Next Generation (CSng), representing TU Delft
- Core member of ICT Next Generation (ICTNG) group
- Member of the Blockchain Lab, TU Delft: see blockchain-lab.org
- Vice-chair of the IEEE SPS Technical Committee on Information Forensics and Security 
- Associate Editor of IEEE Trans. on Information Forensics and Security
- Associate Editor of IEEE Open Journal on Signal Processing
- Associate Editor of Eurasip Journal on Information Security
- Member of the IEEE SPS Technical Committee on Information Forensics and Security for the term 2015-2017 and 2019-2021
- Special Area Editor of Elsevier Signal Processing: Image Communication (ended 2018)
- General chair of IEEE WIFS 2019
- Program co-chair of IEEE WIFS 2017
- Program committee member in BCC '17 ACM Workshop on Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies and Contracts
- Co-organizer of the special session on "Signal Processing in the Encrypted Domain" at IEEE WIFS, December 4-7, 2016, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Co-chair of the Workshop on Privacy Enhancing Technologies and Security Solutions for the Smart Grid User Domain (PRETSELS) to be held in Salzburg, September 2015.
- Member of the organisation committee of IEEE Workshop on Information Forensics and Security, December 2015, Rome, Italy.
- Proceedings of PETs Editorial board member
- Program committee member of PETs 2016, ACM IH&MMSec 2015, 2016 PETs 2015 , PETs 2014 , SEGS 2014
- Technical committee member of IEEE ICASSP, IEEE ICIP
- ACM IHMMSec 2014 Co-organizer of the Special Session on Security and Privacy Technologies for Intelligent Energy Networks
- IEEE ICIP 2012 Co-organizer of the Special Session on Recent advances in cryptography and image processing
Talks and Keynotes
Recent Talks and Keynotes
- Secure Cyber Threat Intelligence, NCSC, The Hague, Netherlands, 2 June.
- Secure Data Sharing for Threat Intelligence, Winter School on "Cyber Security and Threat Intelligence," Kochi, India, 18 Jan [online]
- [Keynote] Decentralisation and Delft Blockchain Solutions, BRAIN Workshop, 2021, 5 September [online]
- Computational Privacy and Distributed Trust, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 4 October.
- Cybersecurity - How big is the threat and how to be safe?, EHRA 2019, the Annual Congress of the European Hearth Rhythm Association, Lisbon, Portugal, 17-22 March.
- Blockchain, Distributed Trust and Privacy, 2nd Workshop on Media Blockchain, Lisbon, Portugal, 22 Jan.
- Computational Privacy and Distributed Trust, NEC Headquarters, Kawasaki, Japan, May 22.
- Blockchain as a Disruptive Technology, Fujitsu Labs, Tokyo, Japan, May 14.
- Blockchain and Self Sovereign Identity, Workshop on Blockchain and Identity, ECID, Soesterberg, The Netherlands, March 15.
- Distributed Trust and Logistics, Transport and Off-Shore Services, Rotterdam, Feb 21.
- Rise of the Smart Wearables, Studium Generale TU Delft, Delft, The Netherlands, Nov 15, 2017.
- Safety and privacy issues in using freely downloadable health care apps, 4th European Congress on eCardiology and eHealth, Berlin, Germany, 8-10 November, 2017
- Blockchain: A Disruptive Technology with its Limitations (Keynote), The 51st International Carnahan Conference on Security Technology, Madrid, Spain, October 23-26, 2017
- Blockchain: A disruptive Technology (will be) reshaping the world, JADS, October 6, 2017, 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
- Blockchain: A disruptive Technology (will be) reshaping the world, Cyber Security Academy, June 15, 2017, The Hague, The Netherlands
- Blockchain: A disruptive Technology reshaping the world, CGI Round Table Meeting, June 8, 2017, Rotterdam Alexander, The Netherlands
- Processing Biometric Data under Encryption, PI.LAB, March 3, 2017, The Hague, The Netherlands
- Privacy-preserving Data Aggregation in Smart Cities, IPA Fall Days on Communication, Safety and Privacy in IoT, November 7-11, 2016, Hoog Soeren, The Netherlands
- Privacy, Who cares and who should care?, Big Data and Privacy, Seaside Matchmaking Event, October 15, 2016, The Hague, The Netherlands
- Cloud computing: Integrity and Secure Computation, PvIB seminar, 10 March 2016, Zeist, The Netherlands
- Processing Private Data for Customized Services in Smart Grids, Dagstuhl Seminar on Smart Grid Security and Privacy, 18-20 Jan 2016, Dagstuhl, Germany
- Cloud Computing: Verification, Integrity and Consistency, The HSD Cafe, 17 Dec 2015, The Hague, The Netherlands
- Secure Biometric Data Processing, Privacy, Multimedia and Biometrics Workshop, October 6, 2015, Paris, France
- Recent Advances in Private Data Aggregation, PRETSELS Workshop, September 21-22, Salzburg, Austria
- Privacy Preserving Data Aggregation Protocols, IBM Zurich Research Lab Talks, July 6, 2015, Zurich, Switzerland
- Private Data Aggregation for Smart Grids, PETs Day, June 3, 2015, Darmstadt, Germany
- Privacy Preserving Data Processing, 2nd National Cryptography Workshop, Turkish Academy of Sciences, , April 10-11, 2015, Istanbul, Turkey
Here are some pointers...
- A text on privacy for Amsterdam Security Blog: Do you have nothing to hide?
- My interview on CSng, page 24:
My research is on Computational Privacy: Secure Data Sharing and Data Intelligence. Protecting (privacy and/or commercially) sensitive data using cryptographic tools.
I am also conducting active research on blockchain: fundamental research around consensus algorithms, leadership selection, cryptographic building blocks and smart contracts.
Interested Research Areas
- Computational Privacy (Processing Sensitive Data)
- Privacy-aware Trusted Healthcare-COMMIT Project
- Secure Online Social Networks-STW Project
- Secure Recommender Systems-STW Project
- Secure Clustering Algorithms-EU Project
- Privacy-preserving data aggregation in e.g. Smart Grids
- Distributed Trust-Blockchain
- Cloud computing: integrity and verifiability, and data privacy
- Anonymization Techniques for Open Data
- Emotion Maps for Crowd Management-COMMIT Project
I am currently involved in the following projects:
- Spark! Blockchain Living Labs, NWO, 2019-2024
- Blockchain and Logistics Innovation, TKI Logistiek, 2016-2018
- 3TU Big Software on the Run 2015-2019
- COMMIT/TheCS: Trusted Healthcare Systems. 2012-2017
- COMMIT/EWIDS: Extreme Wireless Distributed Sensor Networks. 2012-2017
- KS: Kindred Spirits. December 2009-December 2012
- SPEED: Signal Processing in the Encrypted Domain. December 2007-December 2009
Dr. Z. Erkin is an associate professor in the Cyber Security Group, Delft University of Technology. He received his PhD degree on “Secure Signal Processing” in 2010 from Delft University of Technology where he has continued his research on Privacy Enhancing Technologies, particularly on Computational Privacy.
His interest is on protecting sensitive data from malicious entities and service providers using cryptographic tools. While his interest on solutions based on provably secure cryptographic protocols is the core of his research, Dr. Erkin is also investigating distributed trust for building such protocols without trusted entities.
Dr. Erkin has been involved in several European and national projects one of which is on Blockchain and Logistics Innovations where an unbounded scalable blockchain version with confidentiality is being developed. He is serving also in numerous committees including IEEE Information Forensics and Security Technical Committee as chair and Editor in Chief for the Eurasip Journal on Information Security. Dr. Erkin is a member of TU Delft Blockchain Lab, also serving as a core member of Cyber Security Next Generation ( CSng), a community of cyber security researchers in the Netherlands and ICT Next Generation ( ICTng). Dr. Erkin is a Senior IEEE, ACM and IACR member.
Practical Verifiable & Privacy-Preserving Double Auctions
Armin Memar Zahedani / Jelle Vos / Zekeriya Erkin
Decentralized Private Freight Declaration & Tracking with Data Validation
Tianyu Li / Jelle Vos / Zekeriya Erkin
Efficient Circuits for Permuting and Mapping Packed Values Across Leveled Homomorphic Ciphertexts
Jelle Vos / Daniël Vos / Zekeriya Erkin
A Privacy-Preserving Decentralised Key Management System
David Kester / Tianyu Li / Zekeriya Erkin
Practical Multi-Party Private Set Intersection Protocols
Asli Bay / Zekeriya Erkin / Jaap Henk Hoepman / Simona Samardjiska / Jelle Vos
2023-01-02 - 2024-12-31
2021-07-08 - 2023-12-29
Public administration, government, social security
2023-01-02 - 2024-12-31
2023-01-02 - 2024-12-31