Published research on ethics education for engineers by members of the Section
Useful resources and bibliography
|Van de Poel, Ibo, and Lambèr Royakkers. Ethics, technology, and engineering: An introduction. John Wiley & Sons, 2011.||Taebi, Behnam, Ethics and Engineering.An Introduction. Cambridge University Press, 2021.|| |
Yaghmaei,Emad; van de Poel, Ibo (eds.) Assessment of Responsible Innovation
Articles & Chapters
- van Grunsven, J., Stone, T., & Marin, L. (2023). Fostering responsible anticipation in engineering ethics education: how a multi-disciplinary enrichment of the responsible innovation framework can help. European Journal of Engineering Education, 1-16. [link to the published paper]
- J. van Grunsven, L. Marin, T. Stone, S. Roeser and N. Doorn, "How to Teach Engineering Ethics? A Retrospective and Prospective Sketch of TU Delft’s Approach to Engineering Ethics Education," Advances in Engineering Education, Fall 2021. [full article here]
- Marin, L., van Grunsven, J. B., & Stone, T. W. (2021). Performing ethics of technology: Using improvisational performance-based techniques in engineering ethics education. In H-U. Heiß, H-M. Järvinen, A. Mayer, & A. Schulz (Eds.), Blended Learning in Engineering Education: challenging, enlightening – and lasting?: SEFI 49th Annual Conference (Vol. 49, pp. 353-364) [link to text]
- Clancy, R. F., & Zhu, Q. (2021, July), Global Engineering Ethics: What? Why? How? And When? Paper presented at 2021 ASEE Virtual Annual Conference Content Access, Virtual Conference. https://peer.asee.org/37227
- Clancy, R. F., & Gammon, A. (2021, July), The Ultimate Goal of Ethics Education Should Be More Ethical Behaviors Paper presented at 2021 ASEE Virtual Annual Conference Content Access, Virtual Conference. https://peer.asee.org/37901
- Clancy, R.F. The Development of a Case-Based Course on Global Engineering Ethics in China. International Journal of Ethics Education 6, 51–73 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40889-020-00103-1
- Jing, S., Doorn, N. Engineers’ Moral Responsibility: A Confucian Perspective. Sci Eng Ethics 26, 233–253 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11948-019-00093-4
- Stone, T., Marin, L., & van Grunsven, J. (2020). “Before Responsible Innovation: Teaching Anticipation as an Intellectual Virtue for Engineers.” In Engaging Engineering Education:Proceedings of the 48th Annual Conference of the European Society or Engineering Education. Eds. J. van der Veen & H.-M. Järvinen, pp. 1401-1408. (ISBN: 978-2-87352-020-5) - Download the preprint
- Van De Poel, Ibo, and Eulalia Smuga-Fries. "TEACHING ETHICS TO ENGINEERING STUDENTS." Roczniki Filozoficzne / Annales De Philosophie / Annals of Philosophy 63, no. 1 (2015): 213-16. http://www.jstor.org/stable/43410429.
- Doorn, N. & Kroesen, Using and Developing Role Plays in Teaching Aimed at Preparing for Social Responsibility, J.O. Sci Eng Ethics (2013) 19: 1513. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11948-011-9335-6
- Van de Poel, Ibo, and Lamber Royakkers. "The ethical cycle." Journal of Business Ethics 71, no. 1 (2007): 1-13.
- Van der Burg, Simone, and Ibo Van de Poel. "Teaching ethics and technology with Agora, an electronic tool." Science and Engineering Ethics 11, no. 2 (2005): 277-297.
- Van de Poel, I. R., & Devon, R. (2004). Design ethics: the social ethics paradigm. International Journal of Engineering Education, 20(3), 461-469.
- Van de Poel, I. R., H. Zandvoort, and M. Brumsen. "Ethics and engineering courses at Delft University of Technology: Contents, educational setup and experiences." Science and Engineering Ethics 7, no. 2 (2001): 267.
- Zandvoort, H., Brumsen, M., Kroes, P. A., Kroesen, J. O., & Poel, I. R. (1999). Introducing Ethics in the Engineering Curricula: The Case of Delft. Engineering Education: Rediscovering the Centre, 333-338.
Tips for writing – or: how to turn transpiration into inspiration by Sabine Roeser