Placement Procedure 2024-2025
For students that will start the Master programme Aerospace Engineering in 2024-2025: each track will have a maximum capacity.
Why are we doing this
In recent years we have seen a large increase in applications for specific tracks. We have acted on this, by increasing the number of staff members in these departments and adapt our education.
However, for certain tracks the number of prospective students is still higher than can be accomodated. As this situation is not suitable anymore, the placement procedure is imposed to ensure the continuation of the high quality of our education.
Therefore, a maximum capacity is established for each track.
Please note, all applicants that are eligible for our Master programme, can study in the MSc Aerospace Engineering but not all might be able to do the track of their first choice.
What is the capacity for each track
|Track Aerospace Structures & Materials
|Track Aerodynamics & Wind Energy
|Track Control & Operations
|Track Flight Performance & Propulsion
A placement test will thus only be organised and executed if the number of applicants for a particular track exceeds its maximum capacity. For reference: in academic year 2023-2024 it was necessary to conduct the placement test for the tracks Space and Flight Performance & Propulsion.
The placement test is mandatory for all applicants who applied for the tracks which exceed the maximum capacity.
The Master placement procedure for Aerospace Engineering 2024-2025 consists of three phases, as illustrated in the flowchart below.
The deadline to register your track preferences in MyStudyPlanning is May 1st 2024.
For candidates with:
- EER/ EFTA citizenship and an international BSc degree
- a BSc degree from a dutch university
You may have to participate in a placement test while your admission decision is still pending. The fact that you participate in a placement test does not confirm you are eligible for the master's programme.
* Please consult the information on this webpage.
Phase 1 Eligibility
You will be assessed on your eligibility for the master programme Aerospace Engineering. More information about the admission requirements, registration procedure, and required documents can be found on this webpage.
Phase 2 Track Preferences
Registering your track preferences goes through My Study Planning and is mandatory. See this guideline for more information on the steps to take.
Make sure you register for the academic year 2024-2025 and check whether you have received the confirmation email
Registration will be opened on March 4, 2024. The deadline to register your track preferences in MyStudyPlanning is May 1st 2024. Your track registration serves as registration for the placement test in case this will be necessary for the track of your first preference. In case you have not registered your track preference before the deadline, you cannot participate in the placement test.
Phase 3 Placement Test
In case the capacity for the track you have registered for is exceeded, you will have to participate in the placement test to determine which candidates will be placed in that track.
This test will take place on May 6, 2024. The test will be offered on the TU Delft campus and online (proctered).
The following conditions apply to the placement test:
- The placement test will consist of two elements: a knowledge test and an essay. Both elements will be tested consecutively on the day of the test. More information can be found in the Regulations Placement Procedure.
- Candidates who are not allocated a place in the track of their first preference, will be placed in the first available track of their preference.
- A candidate is only allowed to take part in a placement test twice.
The results of the placement test will be communicated before June 1st.
If you have questions regarding the procedure not listed in the FAQ below, you can send an email to:
Frequently asked questions
There will be no placement procedure for students starting per February, more information can be found in the Regulations Placement Procedure.
The placement test will take place on May 6, 2024.
No, a placement test will only be organized for a track where the number of interested applicants exceeds the maximum capacity of that specific track. In the table above, the capacity for any of the tracks can be found.
This will be communicated before June 1st 2024.
More information will be published at a later date.
If you are diagnosed with dyslexia or another learning disability, you can apply for extended examination time by sending an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests must be accompanied by official medical documentation in Dutch or English and must be filed no later than the 1st of May 2024 (GMT+1). If your request is granted, you will receive an extra 10 minutes per hour.
Your request must contain the following information:
- Reason for applying for extra time
- Your full name and TU Delft student number
- In the subject line of your email note ‘Extension of exam time – placement procedure AE’
- in attachment add a digital scan of your official medical statement bearing your diagnosis. This document does not need to be sent in case you are currently a TU Delft student who has already extra exam time. In this case, you only need to send 1, 2 and 3. Please do mention that you are a student currently studying at TU Delft.
The medical statement must meet the following requirements:
- Your dyslexia statement must meet the criteria of the Dyslexia Foundation of the Netherlands (SDN) and has to be dated and signed by a recognised body;
- You have to supply a (official) translation in English or Dutch.
- Your medical document must be signed and dated by a recognised body, for example a doctor, physician, psychologist or psychiatrist;
- Your medical document must contain information which confirms your disability and the structural nature;
- You have to supply a (official) translation in English or Dutch.
If, for example, you need to have certain medicines with you during the test, please also indicate this in your request.
Please make sure to complete these steps before 1st of May 2024 (GMT+1) , to ensure that your request is handled in time for the start of the placement procedure. For questions about the required documents, you can contact email@example.com. Official confirmation of the allocation of additional time for the Placement procedure will be sent to you by the Education & Student affairs department of Aerospace Engineering (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the 5th of May 2024.
What are your alternatives
We know that certain tracks have recently increased in interest amongst prospective students. You can also look at other programmes within the TU Delft. For students interested in Space, please see below a few examples of alternatives:
Some examples of Aerospace Engineering tracks that offer space related assignments.
Examples of other Master programmes at TU Delft that might be of interest to you