Delft Design for Diversity thesis award
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are among the main societal values advanced by our TU Delft community. To celebrate, raise awareness and learn from experiences in designing with and for diversity, equality and inclusion (DEI) at Bouwkunde, a thesis award will be launched for Master’s and PhD theses that explicitly address diversity, equity and inclusion in innovative ways.
With this initiative, the aim is to raise awareness about design for diversity and to build up a collection of good examples of thesis, methodologies, tools, and perspectives that promote diversity, equity and inclusion in design.
BK and TPM Master’s students and PhDs who graduated or defended their theses between Sept 2020 and Sept 2022 are invited to participate. The deadline for submission is 30 Jan 2023.
Only theses defended at BK and TPM are eligible.
A committee formed by Bouwkunde staff and student representatives will select the “most pioneering thesis addressing DEI” based on:
- The academic quality and originality of the approach.
- The incorporation of novel approaches to research and design, including (but not limited to) gender studies, queer studies, LGBTQ+ topics, intersectionality, de-coloniality, democracy and co-design.
- The explicit addressing of a relevant and urgent societal need.
- The use of participatory, action and inclusive research methods, including co-design.
10 finalists will be invited to develop a short talk with coaching from a specialist from IMPROVE Technical and Creative Production and will be invited to present these talks in a special ceremony at the end of February 2023.
All finalists will receive a gift from TU delft and the opportunity to develop a talk with a professional coach and recording, and to have their work featured in a website, as well as disseminated throughout TU Delft. The winners will be awarded €1,500 each (one prize for master’s thesis and one for PhD dissertations). Runners-up and honourable mentions will be awarded as well.
How to submit
To submit your thesis, please send the following materials (in PDF):
- A motivation letter (why are you applying, the motivation for your work, how your thesis addresses issues of diversity, equity and inclusion).
- A PDF of your thesis.
- A 300-word abstract of the thesis.
- A two-page CV
Important dates and deadlines
- Deadline for submission: 30 Jan 2023
- Finalists announced: 30 Feb 2023
- Training with coaches: March 2023
- Public Talks & Award Ceremony: end March 2023
- For questions, please write to DesignforDiversity-BK@tudelft.nl