Information for staff

Whether you are working from home with all its challenges or you are working on campus, the work situation has changed for all of us. Finding a good work-life balance can be a challenge, especially for colleagues who have to combine work with the care and education of their children. That is asking a lot from them, but things can also be difficult for colleagues who are alone and have few social contacts, or whose work has come to a standstill. All this comes on top of worrying about your health or that of your loved ones.

It is therefore perfectly understandable if you feel like things are getting on top of you. If the corona crisis is affecting your health or your work, you can ask for support in various ways. Also have a look at the tips for working form home. There you will find information that can help you to work more pleasantly at home, for example by setting up your digital and physical workplace as well as possible.

Support in work and well-being

TU Delft wants to offer structural attention to our well-being. This is taking shape by offering various courses, workshops and sessions with colleagues. Sometimes to give practical tips, and other times by learning together with colleagues and inspiring each other.

In addition, there are also initiatives and support from other angles. The various initiatives are listed on the page Work and Well-being.

Having symptoms yourself or your housemates?

If you have corona symptoms (e.g. cold, fever or shortness of breath), have yourself tested as soon as possible, even if the symptoms are mild. Until the test result is known, home isolation is necessary and you cannot come to the campus under any circumstances even if you have already been fully vaccinated.

If one of your housemates or fellow students has symptoms (e.g. a cold, fever or shortness of breath) and you were close to your housemate or fellow student for at least 15 minutes a day (added together and 1.5 metres or less), or were you close for less than 15 minutes, but did you kiss, cuddle or did this person cough near you? Then you have an increased risk of being infected with the coronavirus.

Check here to find out if you need to self-quarantine and when you should get tested. Even if you are vaccinated or have recovered from corona.

In case of infection
If the test shows that you do have Covid-19, the Municipal Health Services (GGD) will contact you to start tracing your contacts. Provide a list of your contacts to the GGD immediately. Subsequently, follow instructions of the GGD at all times. The GGD may ask you to inform your contacts (at the university) about your infection. For help with this you can contact the department of Safety & Security via or telephone number +31 (0)15 27 82777. The GGD will contact the university if (clusters of) infections give reason to do so.

Communicating about the health of employees and students
Information about the health of employees and students must be handled very carefully. For privacy reasons, universities are not allowed to request or share health information of employees or students, not even in the case of Covid-19.

Not able to go to campus because of quarantine or corona symptoms


With the coronavirus measures in place, your holiday plans probably look different this year. Maybe you will take less leave as a result? Although that is understandable, it is incredibly important to regularly ‘switch off’ in order to maintain a good work/life balance. Therefore, take leave regularly.

In this, you should remember that, that different expiry periods apply to different types of leave. 

As a basic principle, you should use up all your leave in the calendar year in which it is accrued.If you are unable to do so, there are certain types of leave that can be carried over to the following year. However, the different types of leave have a time limit by which the leave must be taken. The Public Servants (Standardisation of Legal Status) Act (WNRA), introduced on 1 January 2020, brought about certain changes to this.

As a result, a distinction is made between different types of leave with different expiry periods. The time limit depends on the type of leave in question. In TIM Leave (under the Report (Rapportage) tab), you can find details of this difference.

Discuss it with colleagues

It's important to express your feelings when things are getting too much for you. Discuss this with colleagues you have a good rapport with, and report it to your manager. Together with them you can discuss what can be done to reduce your workload, for example.

Leave options for parents with (school-age) children

The current corona measures are becoming increasingly difficult to combine with work, especially for employees with school-age children. Until now, most of them have found solutions by arranging alternative care at home with their partners or by adapting their working hours. If this is no longer possible, the following options are available:

  • In consultation with your manager, you can make use of the emergency leave scheme. After all, this concerns a sudden event for which you must take measures without delay and interrupt your work immediately. This scheme provides for two days of paid leave.
  • If there is no solution after these two days, you can make arrangements with your manager about your availability. You can ask for special leave, part-time or otherwise. At the same time, you can make arrangements about, for example, being available by telephone and answering urgent questions. Given the special circumstances, this is paid special leave.

Tips for working from home

In light of the preventative measures, many colleagues are now working from home. These tips can help you on your way.

Access to mail, files and systems

All information about mail, files and systems can be found in the document ‘Working from home at TU Delft’ which you can find under Downloads.

It is important that everyone who works from home limits their use of the Citrix environment (accessed via You don't need Citrix for the most common activities. The number of licenses we have for Citrix is limited, and we need to reserve them for colleagues who really need them. Please make use of alternative ways of working remotely. There are several options and you can find them in the document in the link above.

Setting up your home office

​​​​​​Working the whole day from home requires a well-equipped home office. Tips for setting up your home office as well as possible can be found here. You can also request extra resources for you home workspace. Visit the Intranet for more information.

Keeping in touch with your colleagues

Working from home, you will speak to your colleagues less often, while it is all the more important to stay in touch. This can be done by e-mail or telephone, but also with Skype (for Business) or WhatsApp (groups). Try to make arrangements with your manager and colleagues about how and when you contact each other.

Make arrangements with housemates

Chances are you're not at home alone. Make arrangements with your family or housemates so you can work at home as pleasantly and efficiently as possible. It also helps if you keep fixed working hours and ensure you take sufficient breaks.

Research tools

Especially for researchers, an ICT colleague compiled a handy overview of all online systems inside and outside of TU Delft.

Employees necessary for distance learning included in crucial occupations

As of 16 December 2020, all (primary) schools and childcare facilities in the Netherlands are closed again. This is a far-reaching measure to avoid the spread of the corona virus. As TU Delft, we always try to be as accommodating as possible for parents, and at the same time keep an eye on our primary processes, namely education, research and support. 

Emergency childcare

Employees necessary for distance learning are included in the Dutch government’s list of crucial occupations for whom (primary) schools and childcare are still available. This means that employees of TU Delft who are involved in online education can make use of emergency childcare.

If only one of the two parents works in a crucial profession, parents are being asked to arrange childcare themselves if possible. If this is impossible for the parents to arrange, they can appeal for emergency childcare. In order to appeal it is no hard requirement that both parents work in a crucial profession.

Emergency care provided by a childcare is only available for children of parents who have a contract with the childcare organization and for the number of hours agreed in the contract. Please note: this is different from the situation in spring. You can read more about emergency care on the website of the Dutch government.

Do you normally use childcare at True Colors Delft or International School Delft? Then parents/carers will receive a personal message.

Request statement for your child's school or childcare

Do you need a statement for your child's school or childcare? Then fill in this application.

New international students and staff members

Are you a student or employee from abroad? The government urgently advises quarantine for arrivals from a number of countries. Remember that this list of countries is subject to change. TU Delft obviously follows this advice, and urgently asks students, staff members and visitors to adhere to the teen-day quarantine that the government advises. 

Visas and permits for the Netherlands

Due to the coronavirus crisis the opportunities for applying for a visa at an embassy or consulate general are limited. You will find answers to frequently asked questions in the Dutch government FAQ. Students and highly skilled migrants, for example, are exempted from the travel ban imposed by the Schengen countries on passengers from a large number of countries.

You will find information about the consequences for permits, for example, on the site of the IND.


Risks of vacationing abroad

If you go abroad for holidays or visits to family or friends, it may be that there is a travel restriction or travel ban for residents of the Netherlands, that you may be required to go into quarantine or that you need a negative corona test. Also realise that there may be a risk of not being able to return to the Netherlands or that you may be required to go into quarantine upon returning to the Netherlands if the situation in that country should change.

Do you travel anyway? Traveling is at your own risk and expense. In all cases we advise you to consult the travel advice of the country of destination given by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

If you need to go into quarantine after returning from abroad or if there is a lockdown during your stay, you are expected to work remotely. If you are unable to work remotely, the following may apply:

  • If the code of the country changes to orange or red during your stay, and you are unable to work remotely, you must ensure that the quarantine is as short as possible, and emergency leave may granted for this period.
  • For quarantine following travel to an area that has already been designated code orange or red, if you are unable to work remotely, you must take holiday leave or unpaid leave for the quarantine period.

Moreover, TU Delft is not responsible for any repatriation in the event of a lockdown there. It is important, therefore, to take note of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs travel advice.

Foreign Affairs travel app

Download the Foreign Affairs travel app and enter the country you are going to in the app. The app will then actively inform you as soon as the situation at your holiday destination changes. Download the Foreign Affairs Travel App (in Dutch).

Code yellow, orange or red?

We urgently advise against travel to high-risk areas (coded red or orange). If you travel to a country coded yellow (at the time of your departure), you must keep close track of the situation there during your stay. If there are signs that the advice might be changed from code yellow to orange or even red, you will be able to take the appropriate measures (leaving the area, for example) quickly. If you fail to take these appropriate measures and consequently cannot start work after your holiday, this will be at your own risk and expense.