International students, who intend to stay in the Netherlands for more than 4 months, are officially required to have registered as a legal resident at their local municipality with a valid Dutch address within 5 days after arrival. By registering you will obtain a BSN (social services number), which enables you to interact with Dutch authorities for:
- opening a bank account
- using the healthcare system
- Studielink, etc.
For Non-EU/EFTA students being registered is also a requirement for maintaining their residence permit.
You can arrange for accommodation in the Netherlands either by yourself or through help provided by TU Delft. Please be aware that most university cities in The Netherlands have a shortage of affordable student accommodations. TU Delft’s help will therefore improve your chances of securing an accommodation that is available upon your arrival in Delft. Those who prefer to make their own arrangements are advised to start looking for accommodation as soon as possible.
TU Delft’s housing service
TU Delft collaborates with various housing agencies in the greater Delft region to offer incoming international students help in finding accommodation. Both self-contained as shared-facilities units are offered. All accommodations on offer are within a 30-minute distance from campus, by bike and/or public transport. They are furnished and meet a minimum quality standard set by TU Delft.
TU Delft charges a non-refundable housing fee of €228.- for this help. The following conditions apply:
- Bachelor and Master students can only be offered rental contracts for a full year (mid-August to mid-August).
- Master students may decide to prolong their contract for one more year; BSc students will need to find their own accommodation after one year.
- Exchange students will be offered a rental contract for one or two semesters, depending on the duration of their stay.
- Early termination of the rental contract is not allowed
- Student accommodations in general are single occupancy only.
- It will not be possible to accommodate children or pets.
Indicate in your Confirmation Statement if you wish to apply for TU Delft’s housing service. TU Delft determines the order in which students gain access to the reservation system based on the order in which full payments are received. For an overview of costs, check out the Tuition fee & Finances page. Please note that TU Delft can only help accommodate students as long as accommodations are available. Applications and payments received after the payment deadline will not be considered.
Deadlines for application TU Delft housing service:
- June 30th, 23:59 CET (Fall Semester)
- November 30th, 23:59 CET (Spring Semester).
Finding your own accommodation
You may find the following list useful when looking for accommodation. It consists of real-estate agents, rental agencies and listing sites that also cater to students. TU Delft does not have any affiliation with these housing organisations.
|Housing Organisation||Student acc.||Couple||Family||Holiday||Shared||Private|
|Oude Delft Makelaardij||X||X||X|
|Rots - Vast Groep||X||X||X||X||X|
|The Student Hotel||X||X||X||X|