S. (Abdi) Mehvar PhD
S. (Abdi) Mehvar PhD
Abdi Mehvar is a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment (Urban Development Management Group) at TU Delft. Holding MSc and PhD degrees in Coastal Engineering from the Netherlands, he has years of professional experience in leading and carrying out collaborative and cross-disciplinary research projects with a focus on climate risks and resilience in Europe and South-East Asia. His research has mainly covered exploration of interlinked socio-ecological-technical systems (i.e., critical infrastructure) in the context of sustainability, risk and resilience; quantification of climate driven environmental losses and risks; economic valuation of wetlands ecosystem services; and numerical modelling of coastal processes.
Abdi is currently involved in the RED&BLUE project, a five-year transdisciplinary research agenda focused on the development of integrated real estate and infrastructure climate risk strategies in the Dutch delta context.
- Hogeboom, R., Borsje, B. W., Özerol, G., van der Meer, F. D., Nelson, A. D., Mehvar, S., Deribe, M., Meyer, M. A., Hoekstra, A. Y. (2021). Resilience meets the Water-Energy-Food nexus: Mapping the research landscape. Frontiers in Environmental Science. doi.org/10.3389/fenvs.2021.630395
- Mehvar, S., Wijnberg, K. M., Borsje, B. W., Schraagen, J. M., Kerle, N., Geurs, M., Vinke-de Kruijf, J., Hartmann, A., Hogeboom, R., Hulscher, S. J. M. H. (2021). Review article: Towards resilient vital infrastructure systems – challenges, opportunities, and future research agenda. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 21, 1383–1407. doi.org/10.5194/nhess-21-1383-2021
- Mehvar, S., Dastgheib, A., Filatova, T., and Ranasinghe, R. (2019). A practical framework of quantifying climate change-driven environmental losses (QuantiCEL) in coastal areas in developing countries. Environmental Science and Policy, 101, 302-310. doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2019.09.007
- Mehvar, S., Dastgheib, A., Bamunawala, J., Wickramanayake, M., and Ranasinghe, R. (2019). Quantitative assessment of the environmental risk due to climate change-driven coastline recession, a case study in Trincomalee coastal area, Sri Lanka. Climate Risk Management, 25, 100192. doi.org/10.1016/j.crm.2019.100192
- Mehvar, S., Filatova, T., Sarker, M. H., Dastgheib, A., and Ranasinghe, R. (2019). Climate change-driven losses in ecosystem services of coastal wetlands, a case study in the West coast of Bangladesh. Ocean and Coastal Management, 169, 273-283. doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2018.12.009
- Mehvar, S., Filatova, T., Syukri, I., Dastgheib, A., and Ranasinghe, R. (2018). Developing a framework to quantify potential Sea level rise-driven environmental losses, a case study in Semarang coastal area, Indonesia. Environmental Science and Policy, 89, 216-230. doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2018.06.019
- Mehvar, S., Filatova, T., Dastgheib, A., de Ruyter van Steveninck, E., and Ranasinghe, R. (2018). Quantifying Economic Value of Coastal Ecosystem Services, A Review. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering (JMSE), 6 (1), 5. doi.org/10.3390/jmse6010005. [Winner of the JMSE 2019 Paper Awards]
- Roelvink, D., McCall, R., Mehvar, S., Nederhoff, K., and Dastgheib, A. (2017). Improving predictions of swash dynamics in XBeach: The role of groupiness and incident-band runup. Coastal Engineering, 134, 103-123. doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2017.07.004
2022-11-01 - 2024-10-31