The Interactive Environments Minor explores the possibilities for dynamic, interactive spaces in which people and buildings engage in a mutual relationship. By connecting data and experiences that develop through this relationship, the built environment becomes an interactive, adaptive and animate entity.
Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering
Maximum participants: 30
For Whom?1/3 IDE
1/3 other TU Delft disciplines
1/3 other disciplines.
What will you learn?conceptual and practical tools for mastering a newly emerging phenomenon: interactive environments
About the minor
The minor aims to merge experimental architecture, CNC prototyping technologies, human-computer interaction knowledge and the techniques of sketching with technology, to provide ambitious, multidisciplinary students with the conceptual and practical tools for mastering a newly emerging phenomenon: interactive environments.
The structure of the Interactive Environments Minor is built around a group project assignment to design an interactive space. The assignment is set in a concrete context and is initiated by real world client. The students design, fabricate and construct an Interactive Environment to address the needs of the users in the context.
The minor offers:
- Learn to design for our technology-rich world. By applying strategic design methodologies via computation and interaction design techniques to produce socially, environmentally and economically sound design solutions and to demonstrate their qualities by developing full-scale prototypes.
- Learn how to collaborate in multi-disciplinary teams consisting of students from engineering, industrial design and architecture backgrounds. You are guided by a staff of researchers and teachers selected from the mentioned disciplines.
- During the semester you will work from a dedicated design studio of the Delft Science Center. In this space all minor activities will take place.
- A budget is available for prototyping.
- 1/3 students of the TU Delft Faculty of Industrial Design,
- 1/3 other TU Delft disciplines from Constructive or Design Engineering related programs,
- 1/3 other disciplines.
This allocation is done to meet the interdisciplinary nature of the minor. Minors of the IDE faculty are open only for students from academic programs.
Enrolment for this minor
Minors of the faculty of Industrial Design Engineering are open only for students from academic programmes in the third year of their Bachelor studies.
For information about enrolment, go to: tudelft.nl/minor.