"Share your concerns about exam stress with fellow students. Talking about it sometimes helps to reduce stress, and often, you'll find that you're not alone."
Since October 2015...
...I have been working as elite sport coordinator at TU Delft. Together with the academic advisors from various faculties, we assist the student-athletes studying with us in balancing their academics and sports. My workplace is X, a dynamic environment where the top athletes feel at home and enjoy coming.
My background is...
...in career counseling, and alongside my role as an elite sport coordinator, I provide study choice workshops for TU Delft students who need help finding another field of study. This can also be done through one-on-one discussions. On Tuesday evenings, I am one of the counselors offering a listening ear to students and PhD candidates at Boost. It's the place to visit if you're not feeling great and are struggling to function well, perhaps due to exam stress.
A bit of tension...
...before an exam is not a bad thing; it's even healthy as it helps to stay alert and perform better. However, when healthy exam stress turns into unhealthy anxiety, it becomes paralyzing. Though it's been a while since I took exams, I remember well that I always found it a bit nerve-wracking and stressful.
Here are a few tips...
...from me that can help reduce stress:
- Perhaps a cliché, but start studying early. Take regular breaks; you can't concentrate for hours on end. During breaks, if possible, go outside for some fresh air.
- Arrange to study with fellow students and take a break for coffee/tea or a walk after a maximum of 2 hours.
- Share your concerns about exam stress with fellow students. Talking about it sometimes helps to reduce stress, and often, you'll find that you're not alone.
- Do something relaxing the night before the exam. For example, engage in sports, attend yoga at X, listen to music, and don't go to bed too late. A well-rested brain functions better.
- Wake up early on the day of the exam so that you can have a calm breakfast and enough time to get to the exam location.
If you're looking...
...for more tips, take a look at this webpage. Good luck in the upcoming exam weeks!