Intercultural Communication February 2021
08 februari 2021 16:00 t/m 18:00 - Locatie: Online
Understanding Cross-Cultural Communication is important for everyone working in a culturally diverse setting.
In this online workshop participants will gain a deeper understanding of how people from different cultures communicate, perceive the world around them, and how their beliefs and communication strategies could easily lead to misunderstandings.
Participants will increase their intercultural compentence through honing their ability to communicate verbally and non-verbally, and behave effectively and appropriately with people from other cultural groups.
Through exercises, participants will explore:
- how to optimize the way internationals use English as their lingua franca
- how to implement the communication between people coming from high context vs low context cultures (using non-verbal and verbal clues)
- how to equip themselves to communicate effectively in international settings, where everyone has a different cultural frame of reference and adheres to different norms and values
Which methods will be used?
In this workshop we use several methods, for example the ABC model of intercultural competence. Participants will find out how their feelings (affection), actions and reactions (behaviour), and thoughts (cognition) determine their attitude towards new situations and people.
They will also use the SCORE model in a group activity, to learn strategies to detect and avoid a potential for misunderstanding in highly international settings.
What will participants learn?
After following this workshop, participants will have:
- Gained awareness of their own cultural perspective and bias;
- Understood how culture influences communicative processes;
- Learned to recognize and avoid intercultural pitfalls;
- Acquired competences that allow for effective communication across cultures.
Before the workshop:
Before the workshop, participants are asked to specify their cultural background (countries they have lived so far) and expectations and learning areas for this workshop, so that the trainer can accurately facilitate learning in those areas.
International TU Delft employees and their partners.
Online workshop: February 8th 2021 from 16.00 - 18.00.
Online - details will be announced to participants after enrolment, at least 7 days before the workshop will take place.
The workshop is delivered in English.
Ute Limacher-Riebold PhD is an Intercultural Communication Trainer at Ute's International Lounge. As a life-long international, she has lived and worked in several European countries. She supports internationals adjust to the new culture and lead a healthy and balanced life abroad. Ute Limacher-Riebold believes that understanding the other culture and language and knowing how to manage our expectations allows us to thrive everywhere. In her workshops she shares insights into the latest scientific findings, and shares her own experience and the one of her clients.
– You can find out more here: www.UtesInternationalLounge.com