HREC Approval 2: Student and course-related research

Students can be involved in research (that involves Human Research Subjects) in one of two ways:

  • Conducting research for their Master’s (or occasionally Bachelor’s) Thesis
  • Participating in research activities in taught courses

These different kinds of involvement require different HREC procedures.

In either case we would recommend running a risk-planning session using the TU Delft Risk-planning tool, Managing Risk in Human Research. You can either run this yourself with colleagues or peers, or Master’s supervisors and docents teaching research methods, can organise sessions with groups of students. You can find out more about risk-planning sessions and using the tool here.