Knowledge and Intelligence Design
Knowledge and Intelligence Design (KInD) is a human-centered and multi-disciplinary research group based at Sustainable Design Engineering department of the Industrial Design Engineering faculty, Delft University of Technology.
KInD focuses on the relationship between the science and practice of design, and the digital technology that fuels intelligent products, services, and systems.
See our latest news here.
Design in the Digital Age
Individuals, organisations and society are taking advantage of computing power to crunch data and automate decision-making. This trend is opening up many new possibilities – from social robots to digital infrastructures for intelligent cities and health-care systems. But it also poses complex questions for designers. Questions around bias, fairness, transparency, and contestability in automated decision making. Questions about the emerging relationship between people and automated devices. The Knowledge and Intelligence Design (KInD) researches these – and many more – questions.
Intelligent tools and methods
KIND’s work leads to new tools and methods for designing, understanding and controlling knowledge- and intelligence-centric product-service systems (PSS). By integrating research in design with research in data science, Internet of Things, machine learning, human-computer interaction, spatial analysis, and crowd computing, KInD aims to unlock the potential of digital materials – to design and engineer intelligent PSSs that are robust, meaningful, intelligible, accessible, and inclusive.
The scientific work conducted by members of the KInD group contributes to the following Sustainable Development Goals (SDG):
News and Updates
- [January 16, 2023] | New Project: “Our Smart Family Buddy” consortium meeting. Read more here.
- [January 13, 2023] | Jeroen Schunselaar successfully graduated presenting his MSc thesis. Read the thesis here.
- [January 12, 2023] | Sinyoung Ann graduated, defending her thesis Towards Designedly Data Donation in Practice. Read here.
- [January 10, 2023] | Roos Teeuwen, Dr. Achilleas Psyllidis, and Prof. Alessandro Bozzon publish article in Computers, Environment and Urban Systems. Read here.
- [December 22, 2022] | Collaboration with Erasmus MC to support cancer patient, funded by KWF. Read more here.
- [November 29, 2022] | Mina Foosherian from BIBA presented our COALA work in MUM 2022 conference in Lisbon, Portugal. Read more here.
- [November 7–10, 2022] | Dr. Evangelos Niforatos and Prof. Gerd Kortuem hosted the “12th International Conference on the Internet of Things” at IDE, TU Delft. Read more here.
- [October 8, 2022] | Alejandra Gomez Ortega, Jacky Bourgeois, Gerd Kortuem published in NordiCHI'22 Reconstructing Intimate Contexts through Data Donation: A Case Study in Menstrual Tracking Technologies. Read the full paper here.
- [June 28, 2022] | Dr. Achilleas Psyllidis and a team of prominent scholars in GIScience and Urban Analytics publish an article (commentary) in Computational Urban Science. Read here.
- [June 1, 2022] | Vasileios Milias and Dr. Achilleas Psyllidis publish article in Computers, Environment and Urban Systems. Read here.
- [March 29, 2022] | In the spotlight: Dr. Achilleas Psyllidis. Read here.
- [February 24, 2022] | Interview with Jacky Bourgeois about the course ‘Digital Product Development’. Read here.
- [February 1, 2022] | The creative breeding ground of Delft Design Labs. Imagine a research environment fuelled by creativity, where people from different disciplines and varying levels of expertise collaborate, seeking new insights and solutions that can change the world. That is what you’ll find in the Delft Design Labs, a theme-based research platform at the TU Delft Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering (IDE) that brings researchers, students and external partners together to find innovative solutions to the complex challenges of our time. Read more here.
- [January 13, 2022] | A small research grant (€135,000) has been granted by the Leiden-Delft-Erasmus Centre for BOLD Cities on Urban Digital Twins. Roy Bendor from IDE is one of the project team members as well, along with Jess Bier (Sociology, EUR), Thomas Swerts (Sociology, EUR), and Carola van Eijk (Public Administration, LU). Read more here.
- [November 23, 2021] | Interview with Kars Alfrink about the transparency of AI systems. Read here.
- [November 4, 2021] | Gerd Kortuem was invited to a panel discussion at the 4th IFIP International Internet of Things conference in Amsterdam http://www.ifip-iotconference.org - where he talked about “the IoT as Creative Design Material for generating Societal Value for All” and made an argument for moving “Towards a Sustainable Internet of Things for the Future".
- [September 23, 2021] | KInD Researchers Dr. Achilleas Psyllidis, Roos Teeuwen, and Prof. dr. Alessandro Bozzon teamed up with Researchers from MIT Senseable City Lab, Dr. Fábio Duarte, Arianna Salazar Miranda, and Tom Benson, and published an article titled “Cities and infectious diseases: Assessing the exposure of pedestrians to virus transmission along city streets”, in Urban Studies — a top-tier journal in the field. More information is available at this link. The article is available to everyone (Gold Open Access license) at this link.
[August 6, 2021] | Himanshu Verma organized a workshop called “SensiBlend: Sensing Blended Experiences in Professional and Social Contexts” at ACM Ubicomp 2021. Workshop website: https://www.sensiblend.io
- +31 15 27 82625
Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering,
Department of Sustainable Design Engineering (SDE)
2628 CE Delft
|Opening hours Team SDE support:|
|08.30 - 17.00 |
08.30 - 17.00
08.30 - 17.00
08.30 - 17.00
08.30 - 12.30