Sustainable Architectural Materials & Structures
We are a multidisciplinary research group with expertise in structural mechanics, structural design, architectural glass and other structural materials. We research safe, sustainable and elegant architectural structures for the next generation of buildings and the upgrade of the existing ones.
As the urban population grows and infrastructure ages there is a very significant demand for architectural structures, but their construction often consumes vast quantities of resources and generates enormous amounts of waste. Therefore, our aim is to bring about a new generation of resource-efficient, resilient and responsive architectural structures that make step-change reductions in the amount of non-renewable resources used in their construction, operation and decommissioning.
We collaborate closely with other researchers and with like-minded industrial partners globally to explore useful mechanical characteristics, to engineer efficient structural systems and to develop novel design tools, re-use / recycling methods.
Our research is grouped in the following overlapping research themes:
- Glass & Transparency including architectural glass and sustainable glass.
- Structural Mechanics including form-finding and optimisation.
- Artificial Intelligence for sustainable and resilient structures.
- Adaptive architectural structures including smart and reconfigurable structures.
- Bio-based architectural structures.