ATHENS Outgoing Students
BME Budapest, KU Leuven, IST Lisbon, UPM Madrid, PM Millano, TUM Munich, CTU Prague, AUT Thessaloniki, NTNU Trondheim, TU Vienna, WUT Warschaw, ITU Istanbul, UPB Bucharest, ParisTech
Twice a year you have the opportunity to follow a one-week intensive course, organised by several European Universities. This programme is called the ATHENS programme (Advanced Technology Higher Education Network, Socrates). Each course also boasts its own social programme. You can earn 2 ECTS and the ATHENS compensation of €150,- as a contribution to the travel abroad.
The courses allow you either to deepen your knowledge within your area of studies or to discover a new discipline. The courses are held in English and/or French. Each course includes about 30 hours of scientific course work. Another 10-15 hours go towards ‘European Dimension’ activities; you will not only discover the university and the city, you will also meet other international students and have a great time.
Can I participate?
The courses are open to Master students. Also for Bachelor students who have completed all first year courses and have obtained a minimum of 120 ECTS. Because places are limited, exchange and free mover students are excluded from participation.
May I apply for one of ATHENS BIP courses in March 2024?
In case if you want to apply for one of ATHEN BIP Courses in March 2024.We would like to bring the following points to your attention:
TU Delft students are NOT allowed to apply for the BIP course and they are NOT eligible to receive an Erasmus+ Grant because:
- We have no Erasmus+ budget available.
- However TU Delft students are eligible for an ATHENS scholarship from our own fund of € 150,00 as a contribution to the travel costs, provided they successfully complete the ATHENS course.
- We do not meet the E+ requirement of at least 3 ECTS. TU Delft students earn 2 ECTS for an ATHENS course.
Costs & Compensation
The course is free of charge. However, a small fee is charged for the social programme. Travel, living and accommodation costs are at your own expense. If you attend and successfully finish your course and social programme you will receive the ATHENS compensation of €150,- as a contribution to the travel abroad, upon your return.*
TU Delft would like to invite you to consider a Green Travel options and encourage you to take a train or a bus to your destination.
You can request accommodation online. Students are usually accommodated in Hostels and Hotels. You may have to share a room with other students.*
Travel documents and insurance
Check whether you travel documents are still valid. Taking out health, travel and third party insurance is your own responsibility.
Consider carefully before submitting your application. Do not apply before your study timetable for November is known. If necessary, ask your professors if you are allowed to miss classes that week. Once you are registered and placed for an ATHENS course, you are committed to attend the course and the social programme!
You cannot cancel (except for emergencies). If you do cancel TU Delft will charge an administrative fee of €50. Furthermore, you may have to pay the costs incurred for your accommodation and the social programme.
The ATHENS organisation places the applicants in the courses. TU Delft has no influence in this process. Placement is not guaranteed as the number of applications for popular courses regularly exceeds the number of available places. In these cases, lots are drawn. However, you can increase your chances of being selected by applying for several courses in different countries. Do not apply for courses you do not want to attend. Once you are placed, you have to participate.
If you want to follow a course with a friend, consider that you may not be placed in the same course or country and that one of you may not be placed at all!
How to apply:
- Go to the ATHENS website: http://athensnetwork.eu
- TU Delft courses are NOT open for TU Delft students!
- Complete your registration form. In order to receive an ATHENS compensation, write your bank account number under ‘special needs’ and submit it online
- Print a copy of your registration form
- Put your signature on both pages
- In case you are a B.Sc. student please make sure you have obtained a minimum of 120 ECTS
- Scan the signed document and send it to: Athens@tudelft.nl
- The official results will be announced around 5 February 2024
Detailed information will be available from 16 January 2024 at ATHENS Registration
The website will provide information on the available courses, estimated costs, accommodation, arrival dates and the social programme.
* Estimated costs for each destination can be found at the ATHENS website.
Education Service Centre