Desk for studying with a disability or extra support question

Are you encountering obstacles in your studying due to a disability or other special needs? For example, you have difficulty focusing on your study, meeting deadlines or managing your energy. Or are you a new student and you think you may need support? You are not the only one!

At TU Delft we have students who have:

  • Dyslexia
  • AD(H)D
  • A chronic illness (such as Crohn's disease, diabetes, asthma, arthritis, ME/CFS, irritable bowel syndrome)
  • Visual, auditory and motor impairments
  • An autism spectrum disorder
  • Long-term psychological problems
  • Extra educational support due to special circumstances (for example parenthood, providing informal care, treatment because of gender transitioning)

Everyone encounters obstacles at some point during their studies. But some students experience larger obstacles than others. Horizon can help you.

What is Horizon?

Horizon is an online platform from Career and Counselling Services for all TU Delft students with a disability or other special needs. Even if you are not yet sure what obstacles you may encounter or what you are looking for, Horizon is there for you! You will come into contact with student counsellors and student teaching assistants who have experience of studying with a disability. Things you can contact Horizon for include:

To request facilities directly

  • Extra time for tests and exams (10 minutes/hour)
  • Free licence for read-aloud software (TextAid)
  • Study Buddy: for practical help in studying

Information and advice

  • Customised adjustments for taking your education programme and exams
  • Help in finding financial compensation if you experience a delay in your studies and for extra resources
  • Advice on policy, laws and regulations within TU Delft
  • Training sessions and workshops
  • Explanation of possible solutions with regard to accommodation

Horizon: Official launch on 1 September 2021!

Behind the scenes we are working hard to get Horizon up and running in time. A lot of information is already available: just click on one of the links below, or watch the film in which TU Delft students talk about what studying with a disability means for them (Dutch language),

More information will follow, so keep an eye on this web page!

Any questions?

Send them to: horizon-esa@tudelft.nl
If you want to make an appointment for the walk-in hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays, please send an e-mail to horizon-esa@tudelft.nl. A time slot will be appointed to you between 12.45-1.45 pm. Please attach the consent form to the e-mail.

When should you speak to the academic counsellor?

The academic counsellor in your faculty is your first point of contact if you experience personal circumstances that affect your studying. At Horizon you can request the above facilities and find general information, as well as getting advice on studying with a disability at TU Delft. For more specific support from your faculty and to request other facilities, you should contact your academic counsellor. You can find the contact details for your academic counsellor here: Architecture & the Built Environment, CEG, EEMCS, IDE, AE, TPM, Applied Sciences, 3mE.

Who do I contact for what?